Bartholin Gland Removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am scheduled to have my right Bartholin's Gland removed on Nov 2. My Dr. is taking me off of work for one week. I have purchased a "donut" pillow for after surgery. I'm getting very nervous, especially after reading several outcomes and healing process stories from the previous conversation about this subject. What do I need to do to physically and mentally prepare myself for this surgery, before and after? I'm so nervous about it that I'm sick. I'm 41 years old and I am a Diabetic. My sugars have been under control for lhe past 4 months. How long is the healing process for an otherwise healthy woman? Should I be able to go to work where I sit for a majority of the day, one week post-op? Please help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had mine removed three days ago. I'm 23 years old, and it's also my right gland that was giving the issue... i'm having some a slight bleeding, (sorta like the ending of a menstrual cycle). and have to wear sanitary napkins, there's still some pain but not unbearable..i think you'll need the "donut".. sitz baths helped me.. Alot.. my swelling has gone down but it feels numb down there. i feel alot better, standing too long makes the area hurt... but the pain now is nothing compared to the first day post op. The first day post op.. EVERYTHING was painful and uncomfortable. Laying, sitting, standing. I couldn't sleep. But i've been given antibiotics. And i have a checkup in 6 weeks.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and being honest. I'm so nervous its been making me sick. My dr is pretty good when it comes to surgeries-when i had laparascopic surgery i went back to work the following week and didnt experience any pain post op. I guess I'm just nervous because I have researched and looked at YouTube which is not good probably.

• Posted

How has your recovery been? I'm afraid that i have a 3rd cyst forming on my right side and am considering getting the gland removed, but I'm afraid of the procedure and recovery. Any info would be much appreciated

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I am writing because I was in the same spot as you last September 2017. I am a 31 year old, 135 lbs very fit and active female. After a year of trying every home remedy that I could find and battling having a painful sex life and not being to bike I decided it was not going to stop flaring up. My gyno recommended a complete excision of my bartholin cyst, gland and a labial cyst. It was a minor surgery but the recovery was really scary and extremely painful. I thought they hit a nerve for about 3 days where I had burning shooting pain down my legs. It subsided. It took about 6 weeks to feel somewhat normal again. Was surprised when I had to take a full 7 days off work for recovery and then had to sit on a donut for a month. I must say though now that I am 100% recovered (took a minimum of 6 months for me to feel really normal again), I am very thankful I was brave and chose to undergo the surgery. Knock on wood I have not had any flare-ups again and my vagina feels back to normal. I have a super sex life with no more pain. My vagina looks and feels normal. I have great lubrication as well, so don't worry there are three other glands that can do this if you take one out. I even horseback ride now which goes to show there is really no more pain. I actually started that two months post-op.

One thing that really helped me on recovery which I highly recommend is to have a pelvic floor physiotherapist see you weekly a few weeks after the surgery. This will prevent scar tissue formation and ensure everything heals properly. This will help to prevent pain with sex (dyspareunia) I am surprised a how few doctors recommend this. I actually never read this anywhere and my sister had the idea that I go to one. Best idea. Anyways, if you choose excision, be prepared for a crappy recovery but now that I am on the other side I am so thankful I chose this route. My surgeon was very well skilled and I would recommend you get an experienced surgeon. He was rude but I can't complain because he did performed well during the procedure. Also, bring an advocate with you for after the surgery. I didn't and didn't take the correct post-op meds and ended up having to spend the night in the hospital and having a catheter inserted because of swelling.

My advice: Be brave and don't be scared. You are strong. Many other women have been in your shoes. It is a minor procedure and yes it does suck tremendously but it will all be a memory in a few months if you choose this route. And the home remedies don't work for a persistent cyst. Do pelvic physio if you choose surgery.

Best of luck and health,

Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.