Bartholin gland removal bilateral

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well...I am 6 days post-op bilat bartholin gland removal. It's been a long process! Over a year. I had the right drained once and marsuplialized once. Both times in office....nohing more than local lidocaine. The cyst remained gone most of the summer. I however was disappointed as I was told I could no longer ride my road bike. I tried to ride a couple times over the summer and sure enough...it irritated my glands....which I had by then developed a small cyst on the left. I even was able to summit mount Whitney (the highest peak in the continental USA) in August. But by September I developed right hip pain....which had been happening on and off for a couple years. Strangely enough....when the cyst was drained the hip pain totally disappeared. I had not realized how much pain I was in until it was gone. I went to two gynos and each was only willing to take the right side out. I continuued to research and look for someone to remove both glands ...as the cyst on the right side was causing hip pain. I finally found an awesome gyno who also had a gyno/oncologist scrub in....and I am recovering now (6 days post op bilat gland removal). I had a miserable few days but worked today (I am a nurse and work in the OR and ER)....it was uncomfortable but nothing that ibuprofen and Tylenol couldn't handle! My husband has been awesome thru it all along with my friends and co-workers whom I m sure have heard enough about my vagina. I am looking forward to riding my bike and being active again. I felt I needed to share as while it's been a long process I was definately disappointed in the lack of info out there about bartholin cysts/gland issues. Even as a nurse....I had a hard time finding info!!! And the info provided by the 7 doctors I have seen over the past year all was different by each doctor. My hip pain was gone for 2 days...but is back...I m hoping it's just swelling in the tissues. My doctor that removed them said that the cyst on the right was so deep that it was up against the prudental nerves...thus causing the hip pain. I will update in a few weeks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing!!  Wishing you well and looking forward to your update!
  • Posted

Really interested to read your story especially since you mentioned hip pain. I am 7 weeks post-marsupulisation after 5 abcesses since Sept. and have had intermittent hip pain alongside them...useful to read then that I'm not alone! My consultant had also remarked that the base of my gland had been very deep, so potentially your explaination would explain the hip pain. All the best with your recovery
    • Posted

Yes...the hip pain is what ultimately drove me to seek removal (and not being able to run or bike). I could not find any info on cysts causing hip pain. I was merely going on the fact that both times I had it drained my hip pain went completely away...and that the pain was increasingly worse as the cyst on that side increased in size. I went to a specialized physical therapist and she could not reproduce the pain. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and got a hip injection which did help as I think it reduced the overall inflammation but xrays really showed nothing. I talked with many of my doctor and nurse friends and colleagues and everything including my gut feeling pointed towards the cyst causing my hip pain. This past week, as the swelling increases and decreases post op...so does my hip pain. I was excited when it was gone right away. I have my fingers crossed that once healed and the inflammation is gone, my pain will be gone. The best description I can give for the pain is a dull ache most of the time, sometimes all the way to my foot, but more severe pain when bearing weight going up a hill or stairs. The pain followed my hip around into my buttock and alongside my anus. Oftentimes....sitting for extended periods of time caused more pain in my buttock. And meds did not help which told me it nerve pain vs. Muscle or joint pain. The pain was not severe most of the time...maybe a 4/10...just more annoying as I never knew what would instigate it. I stretched almost daily for the past 3 months and kept moving as much as I could. I got my exercise in by power walking (did 50 miles in January in the snow). Oddly enough, snowshoing did not seem to bother it. I can't wait to start running and biking again!

As for the marsupialization, it just did not work for me. Almost immediately after sutures were removed my hip pain returned and cyst started filling back up...but definately more gradual...as the marsup was last June and while bike riding was out I continuued to run and hike until September when running became too painful.

Hope that helps!!

• Posted

Well...it's 4.5 weeks post surgery. It has been a slow tender recovery process but really no complications to speak about. My "dissolvable" sutures are still all intact which has been one of the most frustrating parts. They pull and tug...which i think makes things more sore! I am back to working my normal hours (although I am still exhausted after working 8 hours...and often need a narcotic pain pill after work). The swelling and discolored areas are nearly gone. There are no lumps on either side. I am still doing sitz baths partly because it helps with the pain and I think it helps keep sutures moist. I have had 2 yeast infections which I think are because of the frequent sitz baths which change the flora down there. I am slowly increasing my activity and have gone for a few walks that are just a couple miles long. This in fact has been the hardest part as I am a very active person and usually run, bike, hike, or lift weights daily! My right hip pain comes and goes...but it is not steady like it was before. I have gotten a massage weekly for 3 weeks to help with the tight muscles...and that has helped tremendously. I can't say yet that I am glad to have had the glands removed...as I still have enough discomfort that it is annoying...but I hope to be on the downhill side of what seemed like an uphill battle for the last year! I will post again when I am back on my bike!!! That's my ultimate goal! And of course....being able to return to sexual activity will be nice too.
    • Posted

All sounds promising, I think it is just a case of being (really, really) patient. The suggestion by my consultant that I would feel better 3weeks post-partum was hugely optimistic, and I'm only now feeling normal (my gland removal was done on New Years Eve). Hope you're back on your bike super-soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.