Bartholin gland removal experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone who has had their entire gland removed tell me if this is normal? I expected some bruising, bleeding, swelling but not numbness. It is 24 hours later and it feels like my vagina had a stroke and is numb in the area the cyst was and all around it. I really hope the feeling comes back with time, because I can't imagine trading my gland for nerve damage. I didn't even really want my gland to be taken, I just wanted the cyst gone but it is what my doctor wanted to do, because I have had it so long, it has disrupted my life and he didn't want to chance it coming back. I was kind of taken aback because I am only 24 and the only other methods that were tried was an office based failed needling and squeezing attempt, and basic home care like sitz baths. Never had marsupialization or word catheter, just skipped straight to gland removal. I am glad that I don't have to go through with a surgery only to fear for the rest of my life of it coming back anyway but I am scared of the possibility of nerve damage 😦 When does the feeling come back?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica

I would get it checked. which city are you from? I'm from montreal. My doctor does not want to remove my glands I now get these cysts every month. I need this surgery. I'm trying to find out if anyone here or near by city near here does it. I had catheters placed and had other surgeries. It keeps coming back 😩

lidia

• Posted

Hi Jessica

I would get it checked. which city are you from? I'm from montreal. My doctor does not want to remove my glands I now get these cysts every month. I need this surgery. I'm trying to find out if anyone here or near by city near here does it. I had catheters placed and had other surgeries. It keeps coming back 😩

lidia

• Posted

Hello,

I had my entire gland removed at the beginning of October. Just like you, I also had numbness and still do have a bit in the area. My doctor warned me about it and she said feeling would slowly return but there could also be a chance that some of it might be permanent. She also said swelling would completely go down in three months. She told me to maintain a healthy diet and eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids to help with nerve regeneration. It's been about a month since my surgery and feeling is slowly starting to come back. But I will gladly trade and prefer to be numb than live with this awful cyst. I've had recurring cysts, several word catheters and lancings, and 5 marsupializations, over the course of 11 years (started when I was 23). None of my doctors wanted to take the gland out and I became very depressed because the cyst was ruining my life. But I was lucky enough to find my recent doctor and she was reluctant to do it at the beginning. She wanted to perform a marsupialization first and she did, but it didn't work. I made her aware of my history with it and she agreed. I just couldn't live with it anymore. Everybody's healing is different. Be patient and give your body time to heal. I told my mom about this and she helped put my mind at ease because I was freaking out. She's had a knee replacement last year and spinal surgery a couple of months ago. She still has some numbness at the site of surgery. She also experienced 2 C-sections 30+ years ago and she still has numbness around the incision scar.

I understand your feeling of trying to avoid surgery and perhaps taking a more natural route but you might have dodged a bullet here. Unfortunately, you trade in things for others and it's okay. Don't be scared and take care of yourself. You're young and will heal quickly. Be patient with yourself. Good luck 😃

• Edited

hi

THankyou for your words of encouragement. I'm looking into the co2 laser . Is this the procedure that you proceeded with?

• Posted

Hi Lidia,

I know you directed your question to Jessica but I felt compelled to reply. I didn't have CO2 laser. I had a regular surgical excision. What I wish someone would have told me early on- to avoid so many years of declined requests for this excision- was that it's better to find a surgical gynecologic oncologist. Don't let the word "oncologist" scare you off. I know I was! But gynecologic oncologists have years of additional training performing surgeries in small areas to remove tumors and cancerous cells. I learned about this later on after suffering for years. I hope this helps you to find a doctor within your area. I live in NYC so it probably wouldn't be much help if I shared my doctor's name with you. But if you want it, I'll be more than happy to share.

Also, if/when you have the excision, use ice packs around the clock. I think it's key for a quicker recovery.

I wish you the best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

If possible can I know your surgeons name and how long for the recovery. I am looking at consulting surgeons in New York since my doctor refused here

Thanks Lidia

• Edited

Hi Lidia,

Yes of course. Her name is Elizabeth Poynor. She's located on East 81st Street. She's great! I had my surgery on Oct 7 and I was back to work the following Monday. I had ice packs on rotation and that helped speed up recovery. It was painful but not any worse than an infected cyst. In fact, I think an infected Bartholin cyst is more painful. The surgery was mostly uncomfortable but the ice really helped to sooth the area. I was on Tylenol for the first week. I had bloody discharge for the first week and for the second week it got lighter. I still get little pangs of pain but like my doctor said, swelling doesn't fully go down until after 3 months. Overall, I am so happy I finally had it done and I wish I could've done it sooner. Let me know if you have any questions at all! I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

• Posted

HI Jennifer

Thankyou for the information I will look into it. glad to here you are doing well.

Lidia

• Posted

I am so sorry you guys had to deal with so many medical interventions only for it to come back, I guess I am really lucky my doctor seemed to be the exception to the rule and decided the whole gland just needed to go. And my doctor just did a regular surgical excision. He told me a few times he probably wouldn't be able to get all of it because the glands run almost to the hip, but he told my mother after the surgery that it almost sort of popped out immediately with no resistance which is really rare. Just all in one piece popping out. I think my body must have tried to fight it so long, it just gave up and separated itself from my body, but was just held in there because it had no where to go and was too big to break down. Just an idea. Mine never went away after I discovered it, and so I never had to deal with it coming back, it just never left for more than a year and it was painless but it drove me insane. I am sorry you guys had to basically beg your doctor's to take it out. I feel like I am lucky now that my doctor was so quick to make that decision and not some of the less drastic methods, as those seem almost guaranteed to fail from the stories I have read. A part of me is still sad I couldn't keep the gland but seems more trouble than it is worth by far. I am really relieved the numbness isn't out of the ordinary and that it may at least partially subside with time. I can't even imagine having sex in the future with my vagina half numb. I hope that is not what I traded for a scary, but painless lump that got swollen after sex and overall just made me feel less confident and more freakish. Time will tell for me if the procedure was worth it. I feel like anyone afraid of recurrences and suffering from the cysts in any way should definitely have it done though

• Posted

Had badly infected Bartholins gland removed 15 years ago. So painful but all is well now. Best wishes.

• Posted

I had the surgery Nov 1st and it is Nov 3rd - the first day I bled pretty heavily about the same as a period, second day I had very very light bleeding and blood clots. Today I didn't even take any Motrin and no blood, but I keep finding disgusting strings of vagina-colored flesh 😷 It is honestly so gross, but I hope this is just a part of the healing process. Hope everyone's else is doing okay, I feel repulsive

• Posted

I had my gland removed back in April. It’s been a little over seven months. Your body takes a long time to heal and you're gonna have changes along the way. I’ve had numb spots and spots that were very tender to the touch. As time goes on I regain more feeling and the sensitivity around the incision mark has dramatically gone down. I fought with everything I had to try to keep the gland. I went through multiple procedures and it always returned I basically put myself through hell trying to save a gland that was ruining my life. after discussing marsupialization with multiple doctors and being told that there is big possibility that this thing could come back. I’m so happy that it’s gone it’s definitely been worth the healing process to never have to worry about this again. Hang in there I’m sure you made the right choice.

• Posted

alecia, that honestly makes me feel a lot better ! Today is day 6 after my surgery and still bleeding and numb, but thanks to frozen water bottles, the dark bruising is gone. The swelling has gone down a little bit and I hardly have pain unless I press on the area. One thing concerns me though: did you experience any hardness in the area where the gland was removed? I try to keep telling myself it is just normal swelling of the empty cavity while it is still healing but I am scared of it healing that way, and then instead of a soft lump, I hope I will not be left with a hard lump from scar tissue or something. That would really defeat the purpose of removal for me but I am still crossing my fingers that it is normal and not some weird complication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.