Bartholin Gland Removal Today

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just had surgery this morning to remove the left gland and has anyone had this surgery. My obgyn told me what th expect after and said ice besides painkillers would be my bf for the next 24hrs once all the numbing stuff they gave my wore off. They put me to sleep also. I'm coming out of the fog finally and just took my first 500mg Aleve she also gave me Vicodin and some pills to help with being nauseous. Did having pain in the anal area happen to anyone else? I was not expecting that. I thought it would burn when I pee and it does. How long did that last for anyone and 2-3 weeks for healing she said which I thought was a bit much at first but nor I can see and feel why. Any experience with the surgery and positive outcomes after.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

2-3 weeks total is a lie! I had my left gland removed on 4-27-16. It will get a lot better after the first week but I still have a lump of scar tissue and my doctor was very upfront about it being a total of closer to 6 months before I was completely normal again.. I will tell you that it gets better after a week I only used pain meds for 48 hours and after that Advil worked perfect! Rest a lot and don't do too much before you feel good! The pain gets better day by day and there are times I'm still sore but have been so good since about a week post op with the very few sore days usually the days j have intercourse. And in that aspect don't do it too soon take your time to heal and be easy the first few times. Good luck if you have any questions feel free to message me. Good luck and get well soon

• Posted

6 months... ugh! Thank you for your response. My Obgyn is very upbeat and optimist in her thinking. Which is great mostly but this time I wish she would of gave me worse case scenario. She did warn me that some people experience long term side effects but it's rare. I'm hoping I'm not one of the rare ones. She is going to call me tomorrow to check on how I'm doing I'll have to ask her about the scar tissue. We never even discussed that nor did it even cross my mind. I should of did some research and took her up on her offer to "ask away" before surgery took place. Lesson learned. I try and be a good patience and not take up to much of her time when I see her since she's the only female obgyn Dr in the office where I go who does this surgery plus the fact she's booked weeks in advance so I rarely see her it's usually a PA if I have any other issues. I'm glad your feeling better it gives me this gets better in time.

• Posted

Oh my...I am way better than I have been for 2 years! Don't get too discouraged! Sorry if my comments got you down. I did have them lanced a couple times and marsupialization on right side once...so I may have extra scar tissue...I also had 4th degree tear during child birth 15 years ago (tore thru my rectum)...so I have scarring almost surrounding that area. Give yourself some time to heal. I am super thrilled I could even get on my bike this summer! I couldn't last summer. In fact...I think I rode my bike in April just to say I did! I spent the first few weeks after surgery watching a TV series called Nurse Jackie...which made me feel better about my own life! The pits about surgery is that unless you are a teenager...it takes time to heal...no matter what type of surgery it is. You can eat increased protein, get plenty of water and rest and that will help...but your body still needs time to recover! :-)

• Posted

I had both removed in February. I rotated between ice and warm sitz bath (over toilet) and definitely used narcotic pain killers (but remember I had both sides removed)! I believe I have a high tolerance for pain...and at some points pain was 9/10. I spent the first few days on my back in bed...seemed to relieve pressure. Also sat on a donut for 6 weeks. I had anal pain prior to surgery and it was mostly gone after swelling from surgery went away. My cyst on right side was very deep in my hip. I am mostly back to normal. Have ridden my bike a few times and am back to running. Don't get discouraged...even though hard not too. Any surgery takes longer than doctor says to heal...physically you may be ready...but mentally...if u think it will hurt...your mind can play tricks! Go slow. Do what your provider says! Once my stitches dissolved...life got a whole lot better. That was at about 6 weeks. I was back to work in 5 days but I am an OR nurse...and rarely sit...so it was not too bad...just got tired a whole lot faster! Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you good to know and hear positive experiences. I should of known not to google horror stories about this surgery. She told my husband and I to wait at the minimum 3 weeks before trying intercouse, I have a feeling it will be longer as for bike riding I was only riding once a week and at short intervals the last 2 months so hopefully that can resume around the same time also. I can't fathom having both taking out I'll be thankful it was only one.

• Posted

Oh yeah...my male doctor said I should be fine for sex at 6 weeks...which my husband heard...it was still very uncomfortable and my husband didn't understand since the doctor said I should be fine. It's still not the best. I think it's tied to hormones which impacts the scar tissue. Not to mention I my mid forties!Yes...there are more horror stories than good stories! Don't scare yourself!

• Posted

On Feb 15th , 2016 I had the right gland and a cyst removed. The next day I had a lot of bruising and swelling. I couldnt sit, lay or walk comfortably for about 3 weeks. No driving either. I was given oxycodone for pain along with Ibuprofen 800mg. I alternated those for the first 4 days and finally stopped taking the oxy because it did nothing for pain. I took lots of sitz baths and did my best to just sleep. Finally at about 6 weeks I felt better again. To this day I still have slight pain in the right labia but, it is minor and tolerable. I think it may have something to do with scar tissue and it'll get better in time. The entire area from the incision and ALL around it hurt for a while. I was afraid to use the restroom. It will get better with time. Try to take it easy and dont do much of anything. Sitz baths help keep the area clean and soothe the incision. 

• Posted

Im afraid to go the bathroom, I was given some stool softener along with the Vicodins and 500mg Aleves. I finally broke down and took 1/2 a vidicon this morning with the Aleves I'll wait another day before I take a softer. I'll try a bath this evening since that's seems to help others I've heard from. Thanks for the advice smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.