Bartholin's Cyst recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

This week I had my third bartholin's cyst, but unlike the first two, it became infected and incredibly painful. It got to the point where I couldn't even walk and was in the worst pain I've ever experienced. I was trying all the homeopathic remedies, but this morning I had enough and went to emergency services. On the car ride over though, my cyst ruptured. Once I got to the hospital I still wanted to be seen though just to check what was happening was normal and because even though I felt relief after it burst, it wasn't complete relief and it was still a bit painful to walk or stand. After seven hours in the waiting room, a doctor saw me, but by this point he said I didn't need any packing and it would probably get smaller once it stopped draining and everything was normal and fine. But, he spent so few minutes with me, I'm still a bit confused about the recovery. 

When I asked him about bathing, he told me to take 3-4 baths a day to keep the wound open and to let it heal. But, later when the nurse was discharging me, I asked her when I should start the baths (because I wanted to shower as soon as I got home) and she said to avoid taking baths and showers til it was completley healed because you don't want water in the opening. Does anyone know which is right? Did she mean once the cyst stops draining then I should start bathing or did she mean til it was completely over? Also, even though it ruptured and is still draining, there is still a lump and still sort of sore, is this normal? I'm hoping by tomorrow it will have reduced. Last question, when can I have sex again? I read that when you get a cyst drained at the doctor's, you should wait two weeks, but this ruptured naturally, so I was wondering if there is a difference.

Sorry for all the questions and information, the doctor only spent a few minutes with me and I couldn't get any answers.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

Sorry to hear about your experience but I'm happy to know that the cyst has ruptured. That's exactly what you want. The ultimate goal. Your Doctor was right. You MUST keep the area clean to avoid infections. I also wiped the area with rubbing alcohol between the baths after the cyst ruptured. Please read my contribution about my experience the second time around having the BC. It's great news the cyst has ruptured. BTW, the area remained hard for about a week after it ruptured. It gradually disappeared and I didn't even realize.

Have a good one!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Corinne! I really appreciate it. That gives me a lot of relief to know I should take baths. 

One last question, my cyst is still draining, should I let it do it's thing naturally or should I try to help it drain more by pushing on it. 

• Posted

You are very welcome, Victoria. I would help it by squeezing a bit. Mine did not have much stuff in there at all but I did squeeze it a bit. I wish you all the best as you continue to heal.
  • Posted

hello so sorry to hear about all your pain these things are hard to  deal with, I totally understand what you are going thruogh. I to have went thruogh this a few months ago i had got a "WORD CATHERTER" put in. Fisrt didn't go well second was the best. I know for a fact HOT sitz baths do work. Doctors don't know much about these bartholin glands or why they misfunction. Our experience is our knowledge. You have to keep the area clean. If it is draining that is so good, then you want to keep it draining until it is done. HOT SITZ BATHS!!! keep doing it for as long as possible even after it is drained keep it up at least 1-2 a week. Just make sure you clean your tub with some bleach and rinse it well, then begin to soak.HEAT is aboutto be your best friend, also lightly massage the aera softly do this a few times aday it will work..As for sex it can wait..... If you do it to soon it will come back..Make sure you are well then in time you can assume sex again.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Cindy! I've been taking 3-4 hot baths a day and using a hot compress. It's still draining after three days and it still hurts to walk or stand too long, but I'm hoping it will stop soon 
    • Posted

cindy i have the same questions now ... mine ruptured today and i will start the battehs . feel much better but still some pain sitting. does it heal completely after this ? do you have dyspareunia ? did it happen again ? i hope you are fine and with complete health . it will be very helpful if you could give a happy update

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.