bartholine abscess recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, had my bartholine absess draind last wednesday, catheter in place, antibiotics.

Still feel discomfort and lump less in size but still there, hard and red.

what is recovery time and is it gonna go away? THX

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

4-6 weeks recovery.

The cathether, if put correctly (very tricky for LOTS of drs), creates a new duct in the skin, kinda like a a pierced ear for a new earing...and expands the gland so the fluid can come out more easily.

It can save you from bartholin for at least for a few years if u're lucky (it did for me...) but they almost always reoccur eventually...so it's a good treatment and avoidance of gland removal operation if done correctly and if lucky for a few years..and worth the try and suffering..but it's by no means a permanent solution.

Please...leave the catheter in for as many weeks as you can...it will increase the chance that the new duct will not clog again for many years and also, try not to make sudden moves and rest as much as you can and avoid activity in these weeks..it's crucial for the catheter not to come out....I will hate to see you go through that again so soon...

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for your response! Unfortunately I am a nurse and walk all day so came back to work after 2 days off. From your experience, is it normal to feel discomfort from the catheter, and sex possible after 4-6 weeks?
    • Posted

yes, the incision from the catheter hurts like hell at the beginning, and it might burn to urinate.

it may even be annoying until it gets out of your body, because there is pressure from the balloon on the skin as well.

yes, sex is possible when it comes out and u feel everything there is healed and normal again, not a second before....

• Posted

Thank you so much! You my support in this very unpleasant ordeal. I have to see my doctor this Wednesday , and sure more questions will come. 
    • Posted

Hi, I notisted that my left side all swollen and still kinda hard. Catheter opening red , i took last day of Bactria today and feel sick. Did you experience that too?sad((((
    • Posted

It will take time to heal, the area has been through incision, which is a cut through the flesh..obviously it will swell and become red and hard and then slowly decrease. I didn't experience that, just pain for a long time. If you feel sick or have a fever for more than 2 days please go to the dr. to check if all the pus is drained and that you don't need further antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.