Bartholine' Cyst... Word Catheter insertion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 29 years old and have had 2 bartholine's cysts within the last 6 months. The first went away with antibiotics (doxicylone), the second did not respond to the same antibiotic. After 14 days with the pain of the second one (about the size of a golf ball), I went to my OB and she drained the cyst, put a word catheter in, and put me on a new antibiotic. I am at day 6 with this word catheter and it is more painful than the cyst itself. I am taking 2-3 sitz baths a day, taking ibuprofen, laying on a heating pad... but even with that, standing and sitting is so uncomfortable, lying down has been about the only relieve I can get. Has anyone else had this issue with a word catheter? If so, how long did you end up leaving it in before having it removed? I don't think I can handle the 2 weeks that my OB suggested.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello read my post. I have all of the remedies on there. It takes a long time to heal, but I actually got rid of it in 2 days .
  • Posted

Hi Nikki,

I thought the catheter was very uncomfortable. My doc also said two weeks but I've seen other posts that said their doc said four weeks! The second time I did the Word catheter I went about three days and said, "that's enough of that!" I scheduled the marsupialization for a couple days later. That was in early September and I haven't had any issues since. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this lasts! Just thought I'd share. It may be time to consider the next option.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I made it 6 days and had it removed. I literally felt like I was going insane with it in! How was the marsupialization? She suggested that I may need to do that if it comes back. What was your recovery like?
    • Posted

There are a lot of posts on this site about the marsupialization. Some are good and some aren't. My experience has been good but please be your advocate and do your research. My recovery took longer than I expected. Probably about six weeks before I felt myself again. The recovery is probably about the same as an episiotomy after birth. You'll feel better after a couple of days and really better after two weeks. But I'd say completely feeling normal is four to six weeks. But for me it was so worth it. I was on my fourth a abcessed cyst and getting very tired of it. My doctor saiid in his patients he sees about one in ten or fifteen come back. Ask your doctor specifically about their patient's reoccurance. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    • Posted

Hi,hope you don't mind me asking but after the 6 weeks, did the opening made during the marsupialization op fully close? I had my op just over three weeks agi and there is still a deep 'hole' plus a marble size swelling and occasional discharge. I am doubting I will ever truly heal! Would love to hear your experience...
    • Posted

Hi Sara,  give it time.  It really did take six weeks.  Are your stitches completely out?  I had some swelling from those around week three or four.  My doctor just removed them b/c the incision was pretty healed.  Yes, there was a hole and I've heard others say that too.  Honestly, I stopped looking.  I  recently looked again and it looks almost normal.  Not exactly the same as the other side but no "hole" and no one but me would probably know.  

I also remember the discharge and that completely stopped maybe around the fourth week or so.  I'm not sure about the marble size swelling.  If it hurts or doesn't look any smaller in a week or two I would call your doctor and ask about it.  So I think most of what you're experiencing is normal and you just need to give it a little more time.  Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!  

• Posted

Thanks for your prompt reply Mary, your reassurance is just what I needed right now! I have my '4 week post-op' consultant appointment on Friday, so will plod along til then and see what she says.( I wish they told you a realistic recovery time from the outset, because it's hard to know what's 'normal'). Thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.