Bartholins Abscess can suck it 😩😡😤

Posted , 4 users are following.

So this site has been my go to since my first marsupialization. I find it comforting to read similar stories. I couldn't find many recent post so I wanted to take a moment to open a discussion regarding other symptoms I am experiencing to see if others can relate.

I am 3 days post cyst lancing and word catheter and this is much more painful than the recovery from marsupialization because of the word catheter I'm sure. I'm finding it more difficult to walk and get comfortable in any one position, forget about sitting! I also have pain and tingling in my groin, hip and bottom cheek with numbness going down my leg into my toes. All on the right side of which the abscess occurred. I've had my husband massage my foot and calf which relieves it for a moment then as I start to get comfortable these sensations are back. I am becoming depressed and irritable cause the pain is constant and it's taking its toll. I am taking pain meds every 5 to 6 hours like clockwork but I am still so very uncomfortable. I've read how some women have managed to remove the catheter themselves and at this point it sounds very tempting. I am also taking sitz baths as often as I can just to get about 20 minutes of relief! I'm at my wits end and in tears as I write this. I don't understand why this keeps happening. Months after my first marsupialization, I still felt a small lump and some discomfort after driving long distance. But my doctor assured me everything was fine and it healed nicely. I felt she wasn't very empathetic and acted like my symptoms were very minor and insignificant. I'm thinking the incision healed so quickly that it didn't allow for complete drainage as this time it actually became abscessed..

I would love to hear about symptoms others have experienced or what they feel is causing these. We bought a house 2 years ago and unfortunately our master bath has only a shower. I'm convinced it's from not taking regular baths. I believe the hot water helps with secretions and opens pores so it seems logical. Please share your thoughts and or experiences. I'm not getting much support from my doctors and getting frustrated that they take it so lightly. This ordeal has affected my life in so many ways and I can't take that lightly. I am a self employed hair stylist and my business has been affected. I am fun and outgoing person but I get tired and achy easily and become easily agitated when I feel the discomfort. Thankfully I have an amazing supportive husband who has been nothing but patient with me although he has his needs. At this point I just need someone to talk to. My heart goes out to all the sufferers out there! This sucks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds familiar. I finally had my glands removed and have not had issue since (both sides). Might try ibuprofen as well...Which helps reduce swelling...Which sounds like you have if u are getting numbness and tingling down your leg. Might try ice when you arnt sitz bathing. I found sitting on portable sitz bath on toilet to be way easier and cleaner than tub. Might try that since your master bath doesn't have tub? I wish u luck my dear! I never had much luck with the word catheter.

• Posted

Thank you! I am feeling much better and I'm able to walk a lot better but the discomfort from the word catheter is so annoying. I saw my doctor today and he recommended leaving it for another 3 weeks 😩 If it comes back he suggested removing the gland. I'm terrified of that from some of the horror stories I've read! Is it as awful as I've read. How long was your recovery?

• Posted

I feel you pain "Cyster"!!! I was at my wits end this week . My doctor is out of town and I am being managed by her NP until I can see her on the 27th. My cyst aka "the beast" grew like wild fire and created an abscess over the weekend. I could not walk, sit ---forget about sleep. The NP performed and I & D in the office. I am now on 2 antibiotics. The area is better , however I still have a good sized cyst as the I & D site closes quickly. I went back today for reevaluation-- she offered another I & D. I opted to just ride the wave now as the I & D was hell! The plan is for me to have a marsupialization when she returns. So no word Cather for me. I can't believe how incapacitating this condition can be. Please feel better -- sending you well wishes !

• Posted

Ice packs have been a savior today for me as well!! I also felt numbness and tingling to both lower extremities.

Good luck and stay in touch !!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! Isn't it the worst?!! I had my follow up appt today and unfortunately he recommended leaving the catheter in for another 3 weeks! He did however deflate the ballon a bit to relieve a little pressure. If it comes back he suggested removing the gland. I guess I just need to ride it out. Good luck to you through this ordeal! I truly sympathize 😔

• Posted

I have been suffering with these since 2011, I finally had the gland removed in Dec 2015 and it hasn't become abscessed again. Through all my research I am certain it is hormone related and I am going to be looking into seeing an endocrinologist to be tested. I have other hormonal issues or symptoms as well. I have had acne since a young child, more than normal peach fuzz everywhere and I feel like my estrogen is too low. I have spoken with a friend and her support group about their cysts and tumors (hers was located in her brain) and they believe there is a hormonal connection as well. Doctors tried to tell me all sorts of different causes mostly with cleanliness. Even though it hasn't become infected it is more painful around my cycle and I was getting abscesses with my cycle every month almost before I had the surgery to remove the gland. Now I am suffering because of the sensitivity from all of the scar tissue and anytime I get aroused it becomes bigger and harder. It scares me that it will return and I will be left with no other options. So I am continuing my research in hopes of finding more out about the causes and if there is any hope for a full recovery for me

• Posted

Oh man! Thank you for sharing. My doctor suggested removing the gland if it occurs again. I'm terrified of that. I have to keep this catheter in for another 3 weeks and It's so uncomfortable I can't even imagine how awful the recovery is from gland removal. Best of wishes to you!

• Posted

Also FYI PLEASE QUIT TAKING THE ANTIBIOTICS THEY GIVE YOU EACH TIME THEY DRAIN YOU. The overkill of antibiotics they prescribed me has wreaked havoc on my gut health and is causing other issues, yet never did any good for the pain, healing or prevention of these cysts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.