bartoline gland removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 53 yo and have my bartolin gland removal surgery scheduled for the next week. Had 2 abscesses removed, Ward catheter for 6 weeks, after 5 months it came back again, lanced it twice, antibiotics for 2 weeks did not work, had "modified marzipulization by my gyno in a office,  a few days later got huge abscess and terrible pain plus inability to walk till it bursted on its own. So surgeon said it can be removed, 2 weeks at home recovery and intercourse after 6 weeks. General anaesthesia for 15 min . Please share your experience!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral gland removal a few years ago. While mine never got infected, one was large enough that it was causing hip pain! I specifically chose my surgeon who had a gynecologist /oncologist scrub in to lend a hand. I feel very fortunate after hearing some of the stories. While it's the best decision I made to have them removed, it was not a walk in the park. It's a tender area. I'm not going to lie. I had pain. I spent several days icing my vaginal area and sitz/bathing. I found the best type of sitz bath was the kind that fits over the toilet. I used Epsom salts and very warm water. I did this many times a day. I iced (using frozen corn or peas) in between. My doctor said the same thing. 2 weeks recovery and 6 weeks for intercourse. I would say that my dissolvable stitches didn't start falling out until 3-4 weeks and once they were out, I felt much much better. I was able to return to work the week following removal, but I don't sit a lot (I am a surgical nurse) and when I did have to sit, I carried a donut with me for sitting. I think I used narcotic pain meds for the first week, then just ibuprofen during the days with narcotic at night for a few more weeks. Those first few weeks were not joyous...but survivable. You'll get thru it! As far as life without bartholin glands...intercourse didn't happen for more like 12 weeks...tried at 6 (because I felt bad for my hubby) but I wasn't ready. The area was still too tender. It's definitely gotten better as time rolls on. KY is a normal thing these days...but I'm in my mid forties...so might have needed it by now anyways! I have a strange tingling sensation upon arousal...which is just something I tolerate. It's not terrible. It's just new since surgery. Overall, after reading some of the other experiences, I think my surgery went pretty well...and recovery was a breeze comparing myself to others. I really wish there was more information about BG and removal. This forum is what I actually found to be most helpful...albeit awful scary at times after reading other stories. Take what you read here with a grain of salt. Everyone has different perceptions of pain and tolerates it differently! Use the ice. Use the sitz baths. Take an anti-inflammatory. Use narcotics when you have to. Be prepared for yeast infections post surgery...but know that in time...it will get better! You may be fine after 6 weeks ..or it may take you longer...or shorter...give your body time to heal. Looking back, I still would have had them removed! Best wishes to you! I think I watched the entire seasons of Nurse Jackie while recovering...at least my life wasn't as bad as hers!

• Posted

Thank you so much for telling your story! I am a rooming nurse too and walk a lot, so I don't worry about sitting, just general anesthesia and recovery time. Your post made me feel a little less nervoussmile. Did you take a laxative after? And I cant find sits bath anywhere, maybe Amazon?

• Posted

ok i am 51 years old.

my first one showed up about 9 to 12 months ago.. md did not help even with advice completely useless. I just let it be but nothing was going on.

my Barh flamed up about 8 days ago.

I felt as if i was getting a period. My job also involved lots of walking .. and i was in pain.. 

Finnnaly realized what is going on so i searched womens experiences.

ordered sitz bath.. used it day one.

2nd day used phoebes recipes.. mix of withch hazel, calamine lotion and tea tree.. but in smaller amounts.. and added ground turmeric.. that was whole day and night.

the 3rd day i had to go to work.. so i did not want to deal with the same thing...

i know about PRID CREAM.. PRID HOMEOPATHIC DRAWING SALVE

which women in usa mentioned,

but i figured out what is really is.. with its active ingredient ichthammol,  

i knew it had to be the same cream that i knew from my childhood used for deep infections and pimmples.. 

and women in another country also mentioned to use it for barths...

so.. 3rd day that is all i used.. all day , then at work and before sleep..

i also massaged the tubes that lead to bartholin gland.. which are along your leg on your stomack 

and also massaged it down there feeling some pointed pain.. 

continued to apply pressure over my underware and all,

then no pain, realized it burst.

then i applied pressure laying down and standing ujp to drain it as much as possible.

your natural opening for barthlin cyst is way inside.. but take a look at the picture please 

Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they went to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. Users can upload images directly to this site by using the icon at the top right of reply boxes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.