Basal thumb arthoplasty

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I had my surgery November 30, 2017. A pin was put in my wtist for three weeks,I was immobilized for approximately four weeks. Been going to OT since the first week in January. Swelling, pain, and recovery in general has been difficult to say the least. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?? I could use some words of encouragement, really down the dumps about this .   I was trying to make my life better and I think I made it entirely worse .  I am taking advil, arthritis strength Tylenol, and Aleve for pain, however, if they’re only helps.  Any comments? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

From my experience with hand surgery, just recovering from another joint replacement a couple of weeks ago, the pain can be rather drawn out sometimes but it does stop eventually. What does your surgeon say about you still being in pain?  What exercises does the Physio have you doing? Mine has me doing something every couple of hours with strict instructions from my surgeon to  use pain meds so I can do the exercises. There is definitely a case of no pain, no gain, but sounds to me like you need to be talking to the surgeon about more pain relief for a while. Remember the body cant properly heal if its fighting pain.
    • Posted

Thank you... seeing surgeon tomorrow but I am so down. It’s almostthree months and I am struggling.
  • Posted

I had no clue it was going to be this difficult 😓

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.