Basal thumb arthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted on here a whlie ago but due to circumstances not replied to posts. Thankyou for all your advice. My surgeon advised bone fusion surgery which I have agreed to. Unfortunately it has now been cancelled 3 times. My thumbs are much worse they seize up in the night then I struggle to get them moving. They grind constantly and seem to lock.Its hard with work and having a family. Has anyone on here had bone fusion surgery?If so how did it help?I'm also frightened as I need a general anaesthetic which I have never had before and worry myself sick something may go wrong. Thankyou x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi sorry your worring so much I'm not sure about the fusing op I would assume that means making the joint so theres no movement from it as fir having a general anaesthetic I've had a few of those over the years they are nothing to sorry about you will be fine

• Posted

Hi N, Very interesting, I knew by the way you described it the type of surgery, I went and watched it...sounds like a perfect fix for you, I have osteoarthritis of....well, lets just say a LOT of joints, if I had to have my worst day in a joint everyday, I seriously might let them cut it off...its brutal pain, I am sorry you have to go through that...I have had 7 surgeries, still nervous every time but, as long as you are HONEST with your Anaesthesiologist about meds(OTC, RX, illicit)alcohol, medical history, allergies/sensitivities & etc...follow pre-surgery rules(fasting, any other prep) you should be fine, going in confident/assured will help you a lot, I researched the (you know what) out of every porcedure, it helped me but, its not for everybody, sometimes the basics are just fine...at the very least look forward to the pain going away(that's an option now)...Do exactly what they tell you along the healing journey, ask questions if you aren't sure, don't just assume, REMEMBER...this will take time, you cant rush it, be patient & take it a day at a time...Good Luck with your surgery, hope its a huge success & you have a speedy recovery, come back ANYTIME...BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🐾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.