Basal thumb arthritis and in so much pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 44 I work in a supermarket ive had 4 children youngest is 2.So cant rest my thumbs at all My job is quite heavy work lifting ripping up card lifting when scanning. Also struggling to lift my 2 year old. Struggling to do basic things lifting kettle turning door handles etc.Ive had injection in theatre under xray which has no worn off.Only lasted 5 weeks. The pain wakes me up at night. At work this evening my thumb locked for a couple of hours was agony then it clicked and was ok .My surgeon said he can operate but with having a young child he would rather wait as I would need a cast for 6 weeks.I have a hospital appointment next week to see how the cortisone injection has gone. Just wondering what type of surgery is best does anyone have any advice please. This is really affecting my whole life.Sick of being on constant pain. At the doctors tomorrow for co codamol I can't cope with this anymore

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are suffering like this. I understand your pain as I have polyarthritis and the base of my thumbs are also affected. Your case is a lot more difficult than mine though as I am 80 years old and don't need to DO anything if I can't/don't want to.

Have you thumb braces? They would help while you are working. I have fingerless arhritis gloves, I soak my hands in really warm water with epsom salts in it. These wouldn't be enough for you so it looks as though operations will have to be done in future - no easy thing if you have to work and you have young children.

Sorry I can't help any more (just wanted to commiserate). If you need a moan or just someone to 'listen' we are here.

Good luck!

• Posted

I feel your pain! I am 60 and for the past 10years have had cortisone jags from my doctor. Only one that did not work was under x ray about 3 years ago. At first jags would last up to a year and now 12 weekly. In March this year I had trapezioctomy and has failed leaving me with terrible medial nerve pain which now has to he addressed. After surgery I researched op and 30% fail rate! Maybe try jags again first as possible to hit wrong spot? Hope all goes well for you but please discuss options as jags did work although not ideal. Fiona

• Posted

Oh my I so sympathise. Many years ago I started with tenosynivitis in the thumb joints, which got so bad I too was having trouble at work -I managed a small bank branch and had to use coded push button doors inside the branch which were impossible to use, I was worried I'd get locked in and couldnt get out, I also had to do manager's checks on cash in tills, and couldnt count the money because of the pain. I thought I'd have to leave on the grounds of ill health but had a big mortgage and was terrified of losing my job. It subsided a bit for a couple of years and now I have OA in both thumb joints which got very bad again a couple of years ago. I cant take anti inflamms or any opiates (tramadol etc), and the pain wasnt touched by paracetamol, so I started trying to find different ways to help. Firstly, I found some thumb supports on Amazon which were not full hand or wrist, just the thumb - I couldnt work with the whole hand splints, too restricting. Then I found my own 'miracle cure' - well not actually a cure but it's reduced the pain so much I consider it a miracle. At least I can now sleep through the night and even hold heavy objects. Still have a bit of a problem with tough bottle/jar tops but I can get round that. I mince up fresh ginger (not the powdered stuff) and mix it with hand cream and spread it on my thumbs, then I put on thin cotton gloves (the type you can get from the pharmacy in multi packs) and leave it on overnight. It has reduced the inflammation so much it's shocked me. Worth giving it a try, because even if it doesnt work, ginger is cheap and has no side effects. I researched surgery but there were so many horror stories and the recovery times can be very long, I am avoiding that option at present. Keep the joints warm in the winter, that will also help.

• Posted

Hi I have suffered with osteoarthritis in both hands for several years, I am 61 . In October 2016 I had a left thumb trapeziectomy and ligament reconstruction, its taken away the pain but it was a long recovery and i have less strength in that hand. April 17/18th 2017 article in Daily Mail explaining about a new treatment using a gel implant, which i wish i had known about before i had my op, as quicker procedure , less recovery time. I did go and see consultant mentioned in article who seemed v impressive. Do hope this is helpful Sukei

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.