Basal thumb arthritis - how do you manage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've got OA in my thumbs which make everyday tasks painful. Such as putting on my socks, holding a drinking glass or putting on my seat belt. I wear a thumb brace on both hands most of the time. How do you handle these kinds of things.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My wrist splints help considerably as long as I remember to wear them when tackling "heavy" activities.

I have taken Glucosomine for years; can't prove whether it helps but GP very much in favour and my PMR suffering sister's GP told her that if it was available on prescription it would bankrupt the Health Service so many people would want it.

I try to remember to use both hands picking things up if any weight is involved.

Wheat bags are a comfort.

• Posted

With difficulty! As Betty points out - use both hands to pick things up (especially when drinking something hot). Get an electric tin opener.

I use soft fingerless gloves (helps wrists and thumbs).

• Posted

I really really sympathise. At times in the past my thumb OA was so bad I could do virtually nothing and was woken up night after night with the throbbing pain. I found most braces to be too restricting and very uncomfortable, although I did find one on Amazon that supported only the thumb and not the whole hand and wrist, which was better. I've found incredible pain relief from using ginger - fresh ginger which I mince up and mix with hand cream, then spread it all over the joints thickly, then I put on soft cotton gloves (bought as a pack of 6 pairs from the pharmacy) and leave it on overnight. The difference is quite remarkable, the inflammation has reduced a great deal and whilst the thumb joints are still affected, the pain level has dropped massively and I dont get woken up during the night. I cant take anti inflamms such as ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac etc and using ginger has removed the need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.