Basic daily chores

Posted , 5 users are following.

About a month ago I was able to work about maybe an hour to 3 hours in the yard before the pain would start in my right hip. Now maybe I can do 30 minutes before excruciating pain. The Chores are getting less and less.My right hip continue to deteriorate more and more in a short period of time to where I'm only able to get up out of bed. I have tried everything to relieve the pain but no success. I'm going into surgery in about 4 weeks should I stay off the hip until after surgery?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't think its wise to stay in bed all day. However you should try to take it easy. You should also try doing some stretches several times a day. That will help keep it from  getting so stiff and sore. Let someone else do the chorea, they're going to have to do it in 4 weeks anyway. This way  you can instruct the person now on how to do the  chores while you heal.

• Posted

Hi Jonesy23, congrats on your up coming THR surgery. I wish you all the success and a great recovery. Take your time have your home prepared and invest in all the help aides. 

I have been thru the pain you describe and it is rentless. Do whatever you need to do to stay comfortable if possible. Ice the area add heat rubs and rest. Maintain the integrity of bone and muscle for a good outcome. Once thru THR hip replacement surgery and healing the pain your coping with will be a memory of the past.

Good Luck 👍

• Posted

Thanks. I wanted to add something to that. Can I damage my hip more by working around the house?
    • Posted

You can have a few set backs if over doing things at home. Falling can also be something to avoid as well as twisting bending down . Try to balance chores and rest. No vacuum pushing pulling lifting , most have 90' rule.. Have you done home exercises to help build strength and physical therapy will help give you the strength to move foreword. It takes a few months to the body back in shape after THR. Then little pain for days at a time then you know your healing well.

Most Important...  Everyone heals at their own pace.  Don't judge yourself by anyone else's progress.  This is between you, your PT and your doc.

Gentle Hugs

• Posted

sorry need to read before I answer post. Your waiting for the surgery. To answer your question can you cause more damage to hip and yes since the hip has been diagnosed with OA it's weeken at the join area. Causing pressure on nerves and muscles , try to read up on OA of the hip to help get a better picture . Many online sites answer lots of question before and after THR. 

Antiinflamatories and Tylenol AND  lost of rest . Ice the area and be carful try to take is easy . Just trying to control the pain is so difficult. Hang in there you only have a few more weeks until surgery .

Have you been prepared on the hip surgery aides and home prep before surgery? There is a lot of info online regarding preparing the home , exercises and aides for recovery from THR. 

And lots of of help on this forum .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.