Basil cell carcinoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had biopsies taken for two spots on my forehead, they are basil cell carcinoma. They wanted to schedule me for MOHs surgery, but I asked what other alternatives are there for this. They referred me to an oncologist. Should I explore other treatments or just have the MOHs surgery? Will the oncologist recommend surgery or will he stick with what he knows best? These two spots are not very big, but I think may be deeper rooted.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI jack, i had the same procedure done 3YRS ago with great results, you can barely see my scar as my surgeon opened me up from the inside corner of my eye to the bottom of my laughter line on my lip, i was terrified at first but found on here another lady who had the same op and she sent me pics of before and after, theres also a cream they can use but my friend had that and she had a lot more cone up on her head and face and here 5YRS down the line she is still having treatment so to me it was the best option, i hope this helps i do have pics of before and after if you want to have a look.

• Posted

thank you, I have an appointment with the oncologist on July 22nd. I'll see what he recommends.

• Posted

MOHS surgery is the very best option for this type of cancer. My partner had the same type on his face, in one cheek but instead of the MOHS procedure they just excised a large sample of tissue and closed him up, hoping for the best I guess. We were quite concerned that they either might miss some cancerous tissue or that they would have to take more tissue than needed without the sampling that the MOHS procedure provides for. In the end, it seems to have been successful and the scarring is very minimal considering how much was taken. You are therefore very fortunate to be offered the MOHS option, which ensures that no cancerous cells are missed but at the same time also minimises the excision to only what's needed. The forehead is a naturally creased area and they do try to follow the skin's own crease lines with their incisions. Best advice - go for it, it has the best outcome.

• Posted

thank you, I have an appointment with the oncologist on July 22nd. I'll see what he recommends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.