Bath tub and Pool

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know why after surgery you are not allowed to get into a bath tub or go swimming for 6 weeks?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Bending past 90 degress for a hip replacement could cause a dislocation while all your muscles are sooo damaged from the surgery.

Also the risk of infection, local Gp gave me the Ok to go swimming in the local heated pool at 21 days post surgery only after he had examined my cut site very carefully, pushed and proded to make sure it had completly healed over, no signs of weeping and or scabs that may have a raw spot underneath.

• Posted

To prevent infection...

The incision is so sensitive....it takes that long to hell properly

• Posted

Sorry heal not hell..... that's my pain level right now... my surgery was last Thursday

• Posted

Mine was robotic and laparoscopic, the incisions are small and seem to be healing very well, maybe I will call the doc tomorrow and ask
    • Posted

What type of surgery did you jave TAH or robotic?

I promise you it will get better.

• Posted

cara00204

I had a partial abdominal hysterectomy...keeping my ovaries..

I am looking forward to the relief...this Thurs will be 2 weeks for me....I stopped the pain meds yesterday.... really irritable, can't sleep n list of energy.... i purchased some multiple vitamins and hopefully they work

• Posted

Also be careful with swimming.... in SETX they have found flesh eating bacteria.....

Good luck to you!

• Posted

I hope you are feeling better soon, I am sorry you are still in pain.
  • Posted

Hi!

It takes longer to heal inside than it does outside. I had a minor infection inside at about week 5 - and you certainly sbould 't go swimming or have a bath if you are still bleeding. It is frustrating - but it does pass. You will really enjoy the first bath you have post op. I did!

• Posted

No bleeding at all, no signs of infection, I think I am going to call the doc tomorrow and ask them

I am in Florida so not going swimming is killing me

• Posted

Hi Cara, nobody told me this haha! So I had a bath at 2 or 3 weeks!? I found out afterwards. I guess the wounds could soften and poss come unstitched etc plus infection but I was just fine x
    • Posted

I am planning to call dox tomorrow, I am now 1 month so maybe I will be ok
    • Posted

I was sea swimming at 4 weeks I think it prompted healing! Yep defo ask Doc just to be sure! It would kill me too haha! Good luck ♥️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.