Bathing after double hip replacements

Posted , 2 users are following.

Both hips were replaced, one after the other. First 2016 and 2nd in 2018. I live alone and have been using the shower only. Would love to take a bath, but a little wary. First hip replacement was right hip and that is the hip closest to the bathroom wall. 2nd, in 2018 did not go so well, but seems fine, three years later. I am left handed, but in general, I use my right leg to raise myself out of a seated position, and then use the left to stand. All is fine once I am up, and am able to step out of the tub.

I am worried about the 90 degree angle and whether or not, doing the above will cause a dislocation. The only grab bars are those on each side of the standard tub. I am by no means decrepit but have had osteo arthritis since my early to mid 40s.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Wish I could help with some advice. Have you asked your doctor or nurse?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.