Bathing unsure after spinal fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I asked my physio about bathing in bath and she said no only shower i am 8 weeks since fusion at 2.levels. I said what if i get into 

bath and bend at my knees so my bum sits on my heels keeping my back straight. She said it will still put pressure onto my lower spine. She advised an awful lot of twisting with getting in and out of bath 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI Laura

Can u get one of those shower attachments for the bath? Then u can just stand and shower?

Maybe try that ?

• Posted

Hi, 

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestion I've been going to my parents house to shower they have a walk in shower. I will get one of those, ooo how i do miss my bath lol. 

• Posted

I am doing ok Laura. I have the cold at thr moment so.sneezing and coughing doesn't help but I am holding my back and stomach when sneezing. My physio has told me I can begin training again but only upper body and slowly! Will.probably go back in May. Take care.
  • Posted

She is perfectly correct.

My advice is to do what you have been advised to do for the moment and continue with the showers only.

Why take chances?

• Posted

Hi Laura

I had a spinal fusion on 2 levels in Aug 2010. I've not been able to get in a bath for about 8 years, so good on you for being able to!!!

I'm not a huge lover of physios I'm afraid and feel they sometimes advise things which are not helpful.

You know your own body, I would say, if you are in doubt, just check with your spinal surgeon and make sure getting in and out of the bath is not going to do any harm. It's still early days.

Also, make sure somebody in in the house with you incase you get into difficulty.

I've emailed my spinal surgeons secretary quite a few times over 5 years checking a few issues. I only trust the person who has actually operated on me and knows exactly what my back is like, not a physio who seem to treat every back the same, regardless what you've got or had done.

Good luck with your recovery.

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Laura

The therapist is right. I had to wait until my fourth month. Doing anything too soon can compromise healing. A position like you were talking about stresses muscles and nerves, too. That "no bending, lifting, twisting" is so important. Takes a lot of time and patience, but worth it when you heal properly. People who push it sometimes are the ones who say their surgery didn't work. 

Take care 😉

• Posted

I was told 3 months min to bath after 3 level spinal fusion for same reason, showering only. I really mised my baths but am just about to hit the 3 month marker so looking forward to a good soak 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.