Battling Anxiety and OCD

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been battling anxiety for a year now and OCD (intrusive thoughts) for a few months. I have been doing it without medication. My question, is there anyone else battling it without medication? Does it get better? Just trying to find some hope I guess...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I want to tell you that I have struggled with depression and OCD off and on and never used medication. You want to ask yourself a series of questions, do you have friends? Do you have an intimate relationship that is working or a relatively stable family? Do you have a job and/or a routine with worthwhile things to do? Do you attend to your physical health?  They are practical questions that most people think has nothing to do with anxiety but these things can create an enviroment that makes it less likely that you will be able to be well. Putting the pieces of your life in order allows you to differentiate between disorder and actual chemical imbalance. If you have most of these things somewhat worked out (within reason, no one has a perfect life!) and you are still struggling with anxiety/ocd, it could be chemical and you may want to at least consider taking something.  But start with the other things and do some reading about OCD. I had pure OCD.. a tricky one but it can be overcome, I have done it!  Also important, keep on top of it because these things tend to return in different forms.. I am now trying to navigate through health anxiety sad
  • Posted

Hi, I want to tell you that I have struggled with depression and OCD off and on and never used medication. You want to ask yourself a series of questions, do you have friends? Do you have an intimate relationship that is working or a relatively stable family? Do you have a job and/or a routine with worthwhile things to do? Do you attend to your physical health? 

They are practical questions that most people think has nothing to do with anxiety but these things can create an enviroment that makes it less likely that you will be able to be well. Putting the pieces of your life in order allows you to differentiate between disorder and actual chemical imbalance. If you have most of these things somewhat worked out (within reason, no one has a perfect life!) and you are still struggling with anxiety/ocd, it could be chemical and you may want to at least consider taking something.  But start with the other things and do some reading about OCD. Its a tricky one but can be overcome, I have done it! 

Also important, keep on top of it because these things tend to return in different forms.. I am now trying to navigate through health anxiety sad

• Posted

Hi, I want to tell you that I have struggled with depression and OCD off and on and never used medication. You want to ask yourself a series of questions, do you have friends? Do you have an intimate relationship that is working or a relatively stable family? Do you have a job and/or a routine with worthwhile things to do? Do you attend to your physical health? 

They are practical questions that most people think has nothing to do with anxiety but these things can create an enviroment that makes it less likely that you will be able to be well. Putting the pieces of your life in order allows you to differentiate between disorder and actual chemical imbalance. If you have most of these things somewhat worked out (within reason, no one has a perfect life!) and you are still struggling with anxiety/ocd, it could be chemical and you may want to at least consider taking something.  But start with the other things and do some reading about OCD. Its a tricky one but can be overcome, I have done it! 

Also important, keep on top of it because these things tend to return in different forms.. I am now trying to navigate through health anxiety sad

• Posted

I guess it’s a matter of forcing oneself out there?

🙄 I’m miserable and turning into an irritated type... very p****d off now.  I feel I’m losing love for everything... esp myself.

i can’t figure it out..  I’m so damn sad I’m worried ... this isn’t me

• Posted

Just take it in really small chunks by setting up a specific aim..something very small to begin with and try working toward it. See if that doesnt give you a little boost. It wont feel great in the moment, but it has a pay off. But start small! Dont overwhelm yourself or beat yourself up.  :-)
    • Posted

Health anxiety is the worst. . I went through that in the beginning of my anxiety. I had convinced my self I had everything.  I hope it gets better for both you and I! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.