BBC news today

Posted , 4 users are following.

As I'm sure some of you have already seen this is the main headline on the BBC news website today - www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42890405

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I live in the US, so I wonder if things are different here? I am knowledgeable when it comes to PC and what to look for. I have been tested with PSA every two years, but I feel it was not needed in my case due to age and family history. I am now nearing the age to be checked. I am now 49 at age 48 my PSA was checked and was .24 so really low and despite that I have symptoms of PC, but they are also the same for BPH and looking at my PSA neither seem likely, so why isn't my PSA higher? Not really sure. I could be one of the 15% that has PC with low PSA, but I doubt it. We need better tests than PSA and until we get them I think the death rate will continue to climb. It is very unfortunate.

• Posted

Alarming news for the UK.  I am an African American male age 64.  I am just over 6 weeks post prostatectomy.   Here are a few statistics cancer.net/cancer-types/prostate-cancer/statistics

The survival rate after prostate cancer moves to other parts of the body is alarming.  I hoping there can be more funding for prostate cancer prevention in the future.

The 5-year survival rate tells you what percent of men live at least 5 years after the cancer is found. Percent means how many out of 100. The 5-year survival rate for most men with local or regional prostate cancer is almost 100%. Ninety-eight percent (98%) are alive after 10 years, and 96% live for at least 15 years. For men diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, the 5-year survival rate is 29%.

Prostate cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States. It is estimated that 26,730 deaths from this disease will occur this year. Although the number of deaths from prostate cancer continues to decline among all men, the death rate remains more than twice as high in black men than any other group. A man’s individual survival depends on the type of prostate cancer and the stage of the disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.