bbc2 documentary

Posted , 8 users are following.

Did anyone watch the documentary just now - drinking to oblivion? What did you think?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have just watched it. I in no way want to be as bad as the K cider woman, but when the bloke with the beard wanted to get vodka, i almost felt how he felt, there has been plenty of times within a party or at someones home, and you have LIMITED alcohol designed to share and you just know it itsnt enough to "finish you off" and by that I mean geting p*ssed, I just have to leave the party and find more, I mean I cannot stop. I have lately signed up for AddAction and I'm currently waiting to hear back, after drinking to oblivion for 10yrs, but always on the softer drinks, as I hate the taste of gin and vodka. My lastest endoscopy suggests have I have "Barretts" which is a very serious condition.

All in all, it just makes you think clearly.... Some people can drink for years, and others cannnot. So anyone reading who may think they may not have a problem but drink a lot, please check yourselves.

• Posted

What the programme did show was that alcoholism often co-exists with other mental health problems which need addressing.

If a substance exists which blanks things out that you dont want to feel or remember, then people who are vulnerable to negative emotions will take it.  

Despite that, its just a hugely addictive substance, and although I dont crave it now, there are many years of my life where it made me feel really good and seemed like an essential component of 'having a good time'.  And there are lots of years when it did the opposite......

• Posted

Yes, there was focus on people in an extreme situation, but it might have been more helpful to see people who are drinking alot but havent yet been diagnosed with severe liver damage, because I think theres alot of doublethink and selective blindness amongst alot of heavy drinkers as to what they are doing to themselves.

My sister - I know I keep refering to her - but I am so worried for her - drinks over 2 bottles of wine a day, but goes for regular LFT's and thinks that because the result is alright, she is alright.  But the liver can be be quite badly damaged before this shows up on that test, which is quite a crude measure really.

Louis Theroux's style is always very non-intrusive and non-biased, thats just what he does. 

Its clear that alot of people - OK not all - who drink to those levels really need to get right away from their current situation, like the young man who eventually went to stay with his father in Brighton, because a change of scene, removal from the situation which you normally drink in, and of course some support, is often whats needed most.

• Posted

A comment I read from anothe documentary about alcoholism like this one, but maybe better (older) which I will recommend if any good once I've watched it.

'A harrowing documentary. This is where it ends and the Dr made so much sense when he said the government were happy to take the big taxes that alcohol brings in, but they don't want the burden on the NHS. The breweries that create these drinks such as special brew and Tennant's extra are basically selling the crack cocaine of alcohol. so sad😢'

• Posted

Just watching it now and it's very much like another documentary I've seen in YouTube called Rain in my heart
    • Posted

It didn't address why, what now and what will happen next. No mention of drugs to help, even diazapam afterwards. 

Yes, to anyone not affected by alcohol it was probably good., to those it effected IMO it was crap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.