Be active during depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

I know so many health professionals et al say that being active, exercising etc during depression is good to release serotonin. Has anyone found this difficult to do?

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello,I dont find it difficult to do but I dont find it makes me feel any better at the moment after I go for a walk ,but staying in my house all the time isnt healthy either,I only go for a walk if I have company,perhaps you might feel better if you have someone to walk with.
  • Posted

if you are mentally ill any exercise will be difficult because you have to motivate yourself to do it when you are run down and tired.  But it works you feel better for it.

Richard

• Posted

I hope it works for oberone but it hasnt worked for me,everyones different.
  • Posted

why didn't it work for you Rachel?
    • Posted

I dont know Richard  but I dont feel comfortable with seeing people as I was thinking people are always talking about me and I feel uncomfortable people looking at me , so I dont feel better going for a walk .
  • Posted

Hi oberone everyones  different regards exercise i would say walkings good for a start maybe try the.local gym with gentle exercise and see how you get on good luck (david)
  • Posted

Yes it is very difficult to do when you are depressed.  The trouble with depression is that there is no motivation to do anything.  You actually have to do it first to get motivated.  So if you can make yourself exercise you will feel better.  x
  • Posted

Hi Oberone....I know how hard it is to do!I am fortunate in that I own 2 dogs and so i have to walk them.I have sometimes not done this to be honest on the odd day,and end up feeling extremely guilty because dogs get so much pleasure from their walks and are unable to read/watch telly (well...sometimes they bark at other dogs on the screeen!!)or do other stuff we can do.I hadn't been out for a few days and this morning the first thing I did was jump out of bed,throw some clothes on and took them out.Having got back I feel so much better...It can be hard getting motivated...But I promise you,if you make the effort....It really works!All the best,Sally
  • Posted

I take out my sisters dog every day as she can't as she has osterarthritis.  I am very grateful for it as it makes me get out of bed and outside.  I feel too guilty if I don't take her out as she loves it so much.  I usually end up having chats with other dog walkers and always feel much better when I get home.  x
  • Posted

Well,I have to admit that I did not know exercising was scientifically proven to repel depression,but it works for me. Or crying a little and then taking a nap,haha.

If you aren't planning to basically be a buff and ripped guy,of course,any exercise would suffice(playing a team sport,or simple exercises like squats and such). Especially practise those you aren't good at(pushups,for example). It kinda makes you feel accomplished,in a way. smile

It is a bother when you feel depressed and really not up to exercise,but that's why you have simple exercises like squats. Not sure if this applies to all,but motovational exercise videos also tend to demotivate me,so yea xP

• Posted

Hi oberone, My friend also suffered from the same problem But now he does continuouse exercise and morning walk. He feels better now....i think you can do the same. It really works for you!
  • Posted

hii,It is state of some psychiatric syndrome like major depressive disorder but it may be a symptom of some disease or a side effect of some drugs and medical treatments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.