Be warned -- Everyone's experience is different

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just returned from a cystoscopy after reading online how it was no big deal.  Well, it was a big deal to me and very painful.  I wish I would have known in advance and been more prepared so that I could have stifled my scream when the scope was inserted.  I was given numbing gel but I felt everything.  It was also humiliating to be spread open like an animal in front of a male doctor.  They found "nothing wrong" so it was a lot of pain and embarrassment for nothing.  When I asked what I should do about the blood in my urine and pelvic pain I experienced which necessitated the cystoscopy, I was told that "sometimes that just happens.  You'll just have to live with it and take over the counter pain meds.  Hopefully you won't be bothered with it much."  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry that your experience very much resembled my first urethral dilation, Donna!!  The dilation was about 24 years ago and by the same doctor.  Back then, they didn't numb you at all---I screamed out not knowing or being told what to expect!  I was told that I had blood in my urine and had at least two UTI's the past four or five years.  Also, for a little more than a year, when I awake to pee during the night, at times my stomache feels bloated...like I am in the fifth month of a pregnancy.  Long story, short---doc made sure that I was "out" with "twilight sleep" and procedure was done not in his office, but a same-day surgery center.  I was a little sore when I peed and bled some the first two days.  My uterus is "indenting" my bladder they said...may need a hysterectomy in future--cross that bridge when I come to it!  I definitely would seek another urologist's opinion!!!  I know how you feel to be "put off" and no taken seriously!!  Been there!!  Some male docs don't listen...just want to pass you on to someone else!  Please see your obgyn and follow-up with them if you have no other doc---you shouldn't have been treated this way!!  I would tell others to avoid this doc!!  He should have recommended Tylenol or  some other pain reliever before you had procedure done!!  Please let me know how you do smile  Again, so sorry you had this experience!

Patty

• Posted

Thank you for your response and kind words, Patty.  I had a radical hysterectomy in 2010 for stage 4 endometriosis and a ovarian tumor the size of a peach so I understand how connected everything is.  If you do need a hysterectomy, I would absolutely, unequivocably insist on DaVinci robotic surgery which is what I had.  My hysterectomy was less painful that this cystoscopy.
  • Posted

You are most welcome, Donna!  And I thank you for your recommendation re: hysterectomy.  Good to know...I won't be as fearful!!  I believe what you said about the painful part...hmmmm...wonder how that doctor would do if it were himself having a cystoscopy without anesthesia?  If he is a urologist, he is doing  this to others as well...so wrong!  Be well!
  • Posted

I could not agree more... pain, pain and nothing but after effects lasting weeks.

Some are lucky, don't count on it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.