Becoming active

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I am towards 12 weeks out. As per my PT as she understands my panic attacks. She felt I can do some agility training with Roxy, my Chihuahua. I took the courage yesterday took my dog to try out. I took my time slow jog, I felt ok!! Then last night, I went to my agility club awards party and they had a fun match, my trainer encouraged me as well as other knee replacement who just had it done. They told me this will help my mentality and I jog with Roxy, I did good and I felt relieved. Because my knee doesn't really hurt, only aching feelibg a long my femur and calf. This morning, I thanked God my knee is fine except my body. Holy Moley! My whole body is not use to really moving again after 11 weeks!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Exercise after being immobile is hard.  I started water aerobics on Friday but had sense enough to only do part of the class....I'm still sore!

• Posted

Sounds great but please be very careful. Running (or jogging) as well as jumping are things that should never be done with a knee replacement. Fast walking is fine.
  • Posted

Sounds good! Takes a while to build up stamina! Mine's improved even in the last week...just coming up to five months now!

• Posted

Hi Mona -- I read your write up. Please be careful in jogging. One of the things that people that had TKR should not do is to go jogging, jump, or hop. Those activities are hard on the knees. I was giving a list of things that I should not do and jogging was on the list. Perhaps like another member suggested a fast walk it probably be better than jogging. Best of luck - glad that you are pain free. J21370
    • Posted

Hi I

I won't be jogging or running only in agility for less than one minute. Other than that, in training just practice and fast wall once a week. I planned to ask my surgeon if I could train with my exercise personal trainer at the gym

• Posted

Hi j21370, Could you please share the list of thing that we shouldn't do.  I'd find that very informative and I'm sure most people would.

• Posted

Agility with a chihuahua!  What fun!  But be very careful about jogging.  High impact sports should be done with caution. I tried running around the yard with my pup . Wound up tripping and falling on the hard ground. Luckily I didn't fall on my new bionic knee.  I would love to do agility with my Golden Retriever. He is a young boy and high energy.  Funny story:  I went to view an agility class pre surgery. There was a very small dog working out. He was able to get up a seesaw type of equipment. Unfortunately, he didn't weigh enough to get it to move downward and had to be helped off. 

Have fun and let us know how the agility goes. Take care of your knee

Ellie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.