Bed Feels Like It's Moving When I Lay Down But isn't

Posted , 13 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi guys, 

When I am laying in bed I get a weird sensation like the bed is shaking/moving but it isn't. I cant really explain it too well but its not constant. I will be laying there and then I think the bed is moving and get a falling sensation and jolt up but the bed isn't moving and neither am I. Anybody else get this feeling? Is this a side effect of anxiety?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I get this too sometimes.  I live in Napa, CA and there was an earthquake here a  few weeks ago.  Since then I have felt like the ground is still moving, just for a few seconds.  Either I'm super sensitive to the earth or it is anxiety in me and my body is quivering.  I keep thinking I feel aftershocks, but no one else reports them.  I'm going through this menopausal anxiety and have had many, many weird feelings.  I think this is now one of them.  I don't feel like I'm falling, but maybe that's next.  Does it happen to you more when you have more anxiety in general?  I've heard that babies often feel like they are falling, even when they are lying down, and that is why swaddling really helps--keeps their body in tightly and calms their central nervous system.  Sometimes I wear a soft jacket and pull it in tightly around my body and that seems to help calm me.  Maybe it will help for you or maybe if you tuck the sheets around you tightly in bed, it will calm you.  All the best to you.  I think anxiety takes a million different forms!
  • Posted

Oh, one more thing, though, with swaddling yourself.  Make sure you don't get too hot, because at least for me, that causes anxiety, too--especially with menopause--sends me into a hot flash sometimes.  Keep it light or turn the air conditioner up so you can swaddle and still stay comfortable.
  • Edited

I thought I was losing my mind and there were critters in the mattress.  At least I scared me out of eating in bed.  What could it be?

• Edited

Yeah I literally started searching "bed feels like..." and your post came up and finished my search word for word. It's a creepy sensation. I can't remember experiencing it more than a year ago and you're right, it's not constant, but seems like it's happening more and more. Almost like something is vibrating the bed under me. It's very weird. I was thinking it had to do with my heart beating heavier for some reason but that's just a theory. If anyone comes up with something please post it and let us know.

• Edited

Wow I typed in the same thing in Google and this came up. I've been experiencing the same type of feeling as you, kinda like the beds moving or your going to fall over. I think it could come down to 3 different things from my experience. Either it's anxiety just playing games with our balance, vertigo or and inner ear problem, and or and adrenal gland problem that causes jolts. I am not a doctor by any means it's just the research I've done because it's a horrible feeling!

• Posted

Hello it’s been.a minute but are you still going threw the feeling like your bed is shaking I wAs going threw that myself but not it’s when I get up to go to the bathroom and lay back down I get a pulsating feeling in my head 
  • Edited

Hello, All!

Have any of you been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? I experience this same symptom a nd from what I've researched, it's fibromyalgia related. I've been dealing with fibro for 20 years, but this "quaking feeling started as the anxiety worsened.

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi

I just had the same bed sensation like Whitney. This is the second time it happened to me within three months. Has any one understood what is all about and how to deal with it.?

• Posted

I have been experiencing the same thing for like days now. I had 3 theories... 1. There are mini earthquakes going on and im very sensitive to them (im kinda skinny) 2. It’s all happening in my head , maybe cuz im sensitive to motion, movements ( i’ve never Been diagnosed with anxiety or depression) 3. It’s my heart pulsing, i almost feel pulse all over my body.   Im getting used to it but it’s still frightening... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.