BED PAN RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE - ALSO GEL PACKS

Posted , 12 users are following.

I haven't a clue what type of a bed pan would be suitable (safe!!) to buy after I come home. I'm having to cope on my own and I dread not being able to get out of my bed and acxropss to the bathroom in time in the night. I'm 75 and I also have nerve damage/numbness in my feet and lower legs so my balance is poor at the best of times. I'm not very good at getting out of bed quickly as I have to stand a while to balance myself so is there any hippie on her whose bougfht a bedpan for this reason and can recommend one please? Sorry to ask all these questions but I've only got a week to go.

Also a question about icing.Do you recommend gel packs or frozen peas?

Anything else?> I've got grabbers, an apron with pockets, everything up high,shoe horn, microwave meals,..it's the bedpan thing that's starting to concern me.  Is there a flatish one if you can't move very well?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sarah,

I am 2 weeks post-THR. and also suffer from peripheral neuropathy with the tingling in feet and legs as you describe.  From Day 1, I have used the 'elevated ' toilet seat (commode) as others have mentioned.  My bathroom is 7-8 steps away from my bed.    

Of course, I had to walk slowly and balance myself carefully to use the toilet at night.  To solve the 'not getting there quick enough" problem, I bought a good supply of what we call in the US, 'feminine sanitary napkins'---the thickest available. Before bedtime, I place the napkin inside my underwear.  Since I still am unable to put on 'Depends' by myself, I continue to use the napkin solution at night. 

I use frozen bags of peas simply because I find them to be more malleable.  And as someone mentioned, having a helper for the first couple of days would be wonderful. Follow all exercises your medical people recommend. But do 

not push yourself too hard. Your body needs time to heal.  Good luck ; you'll do fine! 

• Posted

Hi Barbara, I think my PN might have different symptoms. I don’t ever get any tingling. I feel like my lower legs and feet are tightly bound-?like having very thick tight socks on - and I get night cramps in the sides of my calves. My balance is also affected. Do you get that too? I’m informed it’s usually diabetics who get it but I’m not diabetic so maybe be a genetic thing with me......
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

?You will be best off with a commode next to you bed, which will probably be easier to get on from the side of the bed with your crutches. Your leg lifter will be your new best friend, and you will be surprised at how much quicker you can move once your bones aren't grinding together.Trying to get onto a bedpan would be an absolute disaster , firstly as you could injure yourself in all sorts of ways, and secondly, it would be very difficult to get out from underneath your bottom without any spills. That would be horrible for you. Plus, what if you needed it more than once in the night? The logistics of emptying it would be no fun either. If those pull on pant things are too difficult to struggle with you can get flat, square disposable pads to lie on. I used AGE UK to buy them last year for my mum, and they arrived the day after ordering and didn't cost much.

• Posted

I definitely agree with you about the bed pan, but also wouldn’t  a commode be hard to empty following a hip op if you’re on your own? 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. I don't see where anyone has mentioned using a lift chair for a while after surgery. I lived in the chair for a month because I couldn't get in and out of the bed. Our bed is very high and I am short. Just an idea for you to think about. It helped me so much. I do hope you can get some help for at least a week or so. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have fed myself in the beginning. Good luck and keep smiling. smile

• Posted

Hi Carol, 

You are spot on. I also have Peripheral Neuropathy of The feet and lower legs - severe nerve damage - which not only greatly affects my balance but I get night cramps in the sides of both calves and I have to get out of bed quickly, hang onto something and stretch the sides of my calves. It’s no good just stretching the back of the calves it’s the sides that go hard so I have to get into very difficult positions to do this whilst hanging on for dear life. An OT is hopefully visiting me this week about this so hopefully social care will be able to get me a rise up and tilt forwards chair. xx

• Posted

Ps ......Carol why did you find it hard to feed yourself initially? I was planning using my rollator to go into the kitchen and putting something easy to prepare on the seat of it - soup? - and walking back to lounge?? 
    • Posted

I didn't have anything but a walker at first. No place to set anything. That sounds like a good idea. I know you will be glad to get this over with and get to the good part where you have no pain in that hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.