Bed Side Manner

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is a question mostly for the ladies, simply because men and women patients are treated didfferently sometimes. Historically women were often viewed as "hysterical" about their health and so weren't taken seriously.

I have seen many doctors and on the first visit they're always pleasant and attentive. But as soon as they see my negative blood tests they get very dismissive and won't listen at all. One doctor literally yelled at me when I wanted to discontinue NSAIDS since they weren't working and had to decline PT because I couldn't afford it. They seem to think I'm questioning their medical judgement and start treaing me like a hypochondriac. It's been implied that I'm drug "shopping" even when I decline everything, that I'm just depressed, and that drugs don't work because I'm not taking them as prescribed. They get irritated if I ask questions and seem eager to rush me out the door. It is such a shock to see the change in attitude.

I'm ever so sorry I have "perfect" blood but I still have pain and it's the doctor's job to figure out why, not to assume I'm making it up.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh Valerie, I SO sympathise.  I too keep having various blood tests done and every time I get the 'normal' answer.  It has taken nearly five years to work through waiting for appointments for a neurologist, a rheumatologist, an MRI, and finally ultrasounds.  The ultrasounds revealed that I have ruptured bicep tendons on both sides and the MRI that I have 'mild' reduction in the disks in my neck.  Following these results every pain area I have is shrugged off as due to mainly the OA in my neck - however by definition this is minor and funnily enough my neck is the only place not causing me issues.  I cannot take nsaids nor opioids (they make me sick) so I decline them and get a disgruntled shrug of the shoulders with the impatient attitude that therefore everything is my fault.  When I explained to the rheumatologist that I would prefer to explore options other than taking addictive pain meds which only mask the problem, she became very aggressive and shouted that she was a 'pill pusher' (her words) and that was what she does.  I now have such a wide range of symptoms, all getting worse almost daily but my GP's seem exasperated that I dont just go away, take a pill and go to bed and leave them alone.  Oh to be rich and get private medical care where someone will actually listen and not assume I'm insane.

• Posted

Oh goodness loxie - they don't think you're insane at all! Find new doctors.  If it's through the public system, start again, call and ask them to let you see someone else. I've done that plenty if I've needed to.

• Posted

Definitely just find a new doctor! No doctor has ever treated me like that, there are plenty that don't fit that bill.  They don't think you're making it up at all, they're normally as curious as we are

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.