Bed sore from sleeping on back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone developed a bed sore from sleeping on their back?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Abby I feel for you. I'm 12 days post left total hip replacement. I dread the nights. Initially I had a very hot numb bum! That does  seem to have settled now. I was using my pain killers to dope my self up so that I could sleep. The last  2 nights I have been very naughty. I've rolled over onto my unoperated side (0p side far too painful and uncomfortable) and placed a pillow between my legs so the the operated leg doesn't cross the mid line.  I know I shouldn't do this so early after my op but it has been in sheer desperation!!  I too have been doing v well and progressing positively otherwise. Just the nights that I've struggled with.  With regards to your pressure sore. Really important that u get up and out of bed to walk around for a couple of minutes if yr unable to change yr position in bed. The last thing you need right now is to have to deal with with a deep sore which needs dressing  best wishes Annie x
    • Posted

Thanks Annie - we're at the same stage - had my op on the 4th. Slept much better ( relatively speaking!) last night on side, so I shall continue to do that. I'm not in bed in the day - I was quite active ( in the house) yesterday. Bit of a journey, all this!
    • Posted

i had my op on the morning of the 2 nd. Has all felt a bit surreal for me. I've never had any significant surgry before, so until recent problems with my left hip I have been fit and well. All has gone smoothly  it seems so far and like you Ive been up and about though I do rest lots to stop my self doing too much too soon!! I've been told partial weight bearing for 6 weeks (another rule I have are broken!😳) I need policing!!   Your right it is a bit of a journey and we are only at the beginning!!! 😰 best wishes and monitor that sore closely!! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Abby,

Sorry to hear about your bed sore, hope it clears up soon. I think the sleeping on your back bit is the worst thing about this op.

TJ x

• Posted

Thanks TJ. Yes I agree - of all the niggles and hassles the sleeping on back is the worst! Having slept a but on my side I'm going to carry on doing that
  • Posted

Hi Abby

Yes I have a sore area right at the biottom of my spine. It heals then if I get sweatty it gets sore agains and scabbs over. I even had the distrixct nurse round to check it. I know it is from sleeping sat up. No one has taught me how to get onto my operated side and it is difficult to do so with my bad right side and the replaced left side I am scared of dislocationg the one already done if I move wriong. I am going to ask for help when I get the right side done so I can try and stop the sore area and let it get the air and heal.

I have bought 100 % cotton underware. Bought 100% cotton sheets  and nothing helps. about 5 different creams some on prescription from the doc. This just adds to the suffering too. sad

• Posted

I have startedto roll onto the side with the use of a pillow between the legs.  I actually feel it is easier on the operated side, when on the 'good' side, the operated leg 'pulls' and feels uncomfortable.  It helped to have a pillow behind the back the first couple of times.  I find the firmer mattress in our spare bed much better than the less firm in our bed.  

Snoring is no problem - I snore a lot, but my wife cannot hear me if she hasn't got her aids in her ears.

Rear end is getting numb at the end of the night now - so I guess it's important for me to turn as in 4 weeks time I should be coming out of hospital once again after my revision surgery.cry

Graham

• Posted

Yes I put a pillow behind me last night. Poor you with further surgery. Best wishes to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.