Bedroom tax

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am on pip enhanced rate but universal credit saying i am paying bedroom i have been awarded full housing including rates and bedroom tax .will universal credit back date any money if am owed any

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Are you renting privately or from social housing?

Are you claiming daily living or mobility PIP because you state enhanced rate but there's 2 parts to PIP.

• Posted

This means that if you have spare bedrooms then the bedroom tax applies to you and a PIP award will not exclude you from this.

You can apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) for help with the shortfall of your rent but this is only temporary and it's not guaranteed you'll receive it. You need to speak to your local council and ask them to send you a form. When you receive it you should get some help in filling it out because they are complex forms.

There's another option, if you have overnight care from a non resident carer then you maybe able to claim for an extra bedroom because of this.

To count as requiring overnight care you or your partner need to be regularly receiving overnight care from a carer(s) who doesn’t live with you, and the carer(s) need to be provided with the use of an additional bedroom (additional to those used by other people who live with you).

• Posted

thank you Denise yes i do have carer's who stay with me uc said they didn't know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.