Bedtime Vertigo...anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started getting episodes of vertigo when I would go to bed and just lay on my back looking straight up. My head would spin like crazy until I sat straight up. Then I would have to sneak up on my pillow and slowly lie down. It was about 50/50 I could make it without another episode.

Witn just a week or so I started getting worse. I knew not to just hop out of bed in thd morning. I slowly sat up, swung my legs around and waited a few minutes. When i felt confident I would get out of bed. Then my wjole world went crazy . I started leaning and falling and reaching out for something and end up collapsing on the floor.

It got worse and more frequent so I went to dr who told me to be careful and that it was pretty typical for my age, 59. He didnt look in my ears! Feeling silly I left. Well now going on 5 months later it hss gotten much worse ...pretty much constant all day. I dont k ow what to do. I do t think my dr will take me serious.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Could be a few things. Think you need to go to a different doc if he won't take you seriously. Sounds a little like bppv but could be something more serious.

• Posted

I wish I had an answer for you.   I have mild vertigo attacks and have had two bad ones similar to what you have described but they went after a couple of hours and I could walk around ok.   I had to stay in bed sitting up for the 2 hours.    I do think it has a lot to do with head movements especially getting out of bed, I don't sleep on my left side now just right side and then I can just sit up in the morning no head turning!    Anyone who can offer us help it would be appreciated. 

• Posted

Sorry meant to say mine has been diagnosed bppv
    • Posted

Would you tell me why you don't sleep on your left side. I have BPPV affected my left ear, and it might help me. Thank you. Warm regards.

• Posted

Because sometimes if I sleep on left side when I get up I am dizzy and by sleeping on right side I can just sit up and dont have to turn my head to get out of bed - that is I sleep on the right side of the bed.   I seem to get the vertigo in my left ear.   As i am not having regular episodes thank goodness I still find I am trying various things out. 
  • Posted

I agree, this sounds like posterior canal BPPV.  You need to see an ENT doctor who will like at your eye movements in different body positions.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with bppv. Was put on betaserc, took it for 3 months. It kind of disappeared. After three months it was back. I have had it for the last 3 years it comes and goes. I have taken very many different medicines. What can cure it permanently

Thanks

• Posted

Betaserc or any other medicine is not the correct treatment for BPPV.  A specific maneuver (head movement) is required.

• Posted

Thanks a heap. Doctors who perform it are called what ie their speciality, and I should ask for what movement. Please shed some light
    • Posted

Neurotologists, or ENT doctors with a special interest in neurotology.  Either the Semont or Dix-Hallpike therapeutic maneuver.

• Posted

Would this be the same dx if it happens when I am either just standing or sitting still. It has done that I am not moving, just talking to someone, or reading a book. It just swoops down on me.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I get this too.Mine is positional.  I have always noticed it happened seasonally.

Usually in Sept/Oct   and then again in Mar/April.  I just finished 3 weeks of it.  It will go away. I was on Serc but as the doctor mentioned it is not for BPPV.

The maneauvers are good. If it is in your right ear. meaning if you are laying on left side or on your back and roll to your right, then the right ear that is affected.  Do the maneuaver for that side.

Pm me and I can sent you 2 links for that

• Posted

Would you send the links for me. I have BPPV.  Thanks a lot. Regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.