Been a suffer for 14 years now body is deterioting

Posted , 8 users are following.

Extreme fatigue lots of numbness in both arms & feet forgetfulness stomach is bloated poor eyesight get nowhere with doctor!!!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy

My name is Sharon I suffer from restless leg syndrome which unfortunately comes with low iron,folic acid and low b12,I was having the same symptoms as you as well as my rls getting worse I had blood tests which showed I was low on the above,once my Dr put me on supplements I got better and my rod has settled down as well,I don't know if you are taking anything but hopefully this will help you.

All the best

Sharon

• Posted

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.

If you "see yourself" among any of the above people I suggest make a list of your symptoms and ask your doctor to test your serum B12 and serum Folate

I am not a medically trained person but have had P.A. ( a form of B12 deficiency) for 46 years.

Come back if you have any more questions  

• Posted

Hi

Clive forgot to mention people with rls are also prone to have b12 defficiancy as my very good neurologist has recently told me.

Sharon

• Posted

Perhaps I should add RLS to the list provided by the PASoc some years back

1 Pernicious Anaemia - Symptoms

1.1 General Symptoms

The following general symptoms are common in those with PA:

? The Strange Tiredness

? Fog days, where you have difficulty in thinking clearly

? Weakness 

? Fatigue 

? Upset stomach

? Abnormally rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) and/or chest pains 

? Abnormal yellow colouration of the skin (jaundice)

? Heightened sensitivity to hearing, smell, and taste

? Vision distortion, e.g. seeing stars, or double vision

? Breathlessness

? Headache

? Cankers (ulcers) in the mouth

? Sleep disorders

? Intolerance to loud sounds, flashing lights

? Intolerance to crowded malls (needing personal space)

? Tinnitus – ringing in ears

1.2 Neurological Symptoms

The neurological symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency may include:

? Numbness and tingling of the arms and more commonly the legs

? Difficulty walking

? Loss of balance

? Hands feel gloved with loss of sensitivity

? Loss of vibration sense, having to look down to see where you are walking

? Unable to close your eyes and stand on one foot

? Night vision 

? Memory loss 

? Disorientation

? Dementia 

? Extreme mood changes

? Short term memory loss

Some experience many of these symptoms and some none of them. It depends on how quickly the PA is treated and on how well managed it is.

1.3 Gastrointestinal Symptoms

The gastrointestinal symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency may include:

? A sore tongue

? Appetite loss

? Diarrhoea and/or constipation

? Stomach pain 

I have terrible burning legs and feet especially at night

• Posted

A relief to hear I am not suffering alone! Spent the majority of today at emergency on a drip. Had PE for 13 years. Doctors solution, change anti depressants. I am 54 and feel 94 most of the time. Sometimes i wonder why I am even here!! Restless legs, constant upset stomach, being clumsy, forgetful and worn out. Latest symptom heart palpitations.

• Posted

Assess your medication, and triggers of these symptoms. Do what i do and spend time reflecting on change, and improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.