Been advised to have TKR..booked for January

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone.....I'm not sure that it's a good idea to come here BEFORE my op....it's actually quite scary reading all the experiences...I'm not even sure I can go through with it..how did any of you decide whether go have surgery or not? I've had RA for almost 20years ..my knee has been giving me major problems for 4yrs ..i can't walk up stairs, cycle, stand...normal day to day walking very difficult....I will be looking after myself afterwards...is this manageable?? I know I need this done but it's a really daunting prospect.....anyone waiting for surgery? Anyone regret having it done??

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Linda, by the sound of it you definitely need this done, think AT ALL TIMES that your quality of life will be so much better afterwards. I wasn’t half as bad as your saying but 10 weeks post op I don’t regret it. Yes, there are times when you’ll think ‘why did I do it’, don’t get me wrong it is tough and it a long road I’ve heard but then, I’m only a youngster in the scheme of things!  Good luck to you for a speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your lovely message Sharon ..you mean a youngster in terms of your recovery?? Inside I'm in 30's ..really I'm in my 40's but as my consultant said I've an old woman's knee...and boy do i know it.. .limping around!

• Posted

I meant I was ‘young at 50’ but you’re even younger!  It never ceases to amaze me that we’re so young for this operation!  Good luck to you, you’ve got many happy years with your new knee!
  • Posted

Sounds like you definitely need it done. You sound the way I was before my op. I'm 8 weeks and I don't regret it one bit. As for managing alone, I don't think I could've to be honest. By that I mean shopping and such like. You can't just nip to the shops so try and be really organised before you go into the hospital

• Posted

Thanks for your lovely message Louise...i was thinking i could batch cook before op, shop online..and hopefully my nice friends will fill the rest of the gaps...
    • Posted

Also Linda, my hallway from my bedroom to bathroom was pitch black during the night so my husband put a lamp on overnight so I could see and not trip. I only have a shower cubicle, no bath, so got a non slip mat inside that
  • Posted

Linda it is a daunting decision. It is likely that post-surgery pain will pale in comparison to the pain you currently are experiencing. I had my left TKR done in December 2016 and 10 months later, October 2017 my right TKR. I am 59 years old. I will say this to you...without surgery you continue to experience pain knowing it will only worsen. With surgery you experience some pain knowing it will only get better. Make sure you have a good doctor who has done and continues to do hundreds of TKR’s and then just go for it!!! With my first TKR I was back at work comfortably at 7 weeks, with my second TKR I am back at 5 weeks. Everyone’s experiences are different and I know I have been fortunate. Wishing you the very best!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Tammy..i plan to come back to work at week 7 ...and gradually build up..unfortunately no one will replace me in my absence....my surgeon was recommended....tbh I'm considerably overweight...so he was recommended by someone who he had operated on, in the same position..

• Posted

Dear Linda, 

I am same as you. I am in my 40s, I am overweight, also I live alone. 

I did my right in June 2016 and my left in January 2017. 

My right knee is doing very well, minimal pain, much less pain than before the surgery. My left knee is giving me some problems but at my last consultation both the Doctor and physiotherapist say it’s psychological, you see I have an abysmal fear of falling down and that has made to hold on the crutch and think as am walking. 

As to managing alone, what I did was do all my shopping before the surgery. But still it was difficult as I had to be using two crutches after the second surgery as I was not to but all my weight on it unlike the first that was full weight bearing even from start. 

I had someone move my dining table close to my stove, fridge and microwave so I can just pick and drop anything I want to eat or drink. Worse case, I call the building manager on the phone to come assist. 

You will do great. 

Before my surgery and some months after I was on pain meds almost every day now I go weeks without. 

Just think of living without pain after this pain. 

I wish you good luck

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm in the same situation as you and booked to have mine done on 19th December.  I must admit some of the scenarios on here have been unsettling to say the least.

?I'm not as bad as you, which actually makes it more difficult.  I can still do Zumba and go for walks without being in too much pain as long as I'm not going down steps or a sharp incline.  In fact, since I started taking turmeric the pain is even less!  However my X rays show bone on bone in two areas and I've been referred to a very respected surgeon in a private hospital under the NHS so I'd be a fool not to take advantage of the situation.  Just hoping I don't regret it later.  

Good luck to us both!

• Posted

Thanks Mary...ill be a few weeks behind you so we can help each other out! Good luck too..let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Don't be scared, just be prepared!

😀

And it sounds like you will be.

Everyone is different but I personally found it good to research things first.

Yes, you worry about things because you know how hard it can be, but always remember, people and their experience are very individual. For example, I suffered very little loss of sleep, and didn't find that aspect too bad, yet others have a harder time.

Forewarned is fore armed, and with the right mental attitude you will be fine.

Are you in UK?

I ask because the way things are managed varies from country to country, hospital to hospital, surgeon to surgeon...

In UK it seems there is less intensive direct individual input with respect to physiotherapy than compared to the USA. Cannot be sure about this buti it is the impression I get.

We are expected to take that aspect of the process more into our own hands. Having said that, I got quite a lot on the NHS so it varies from place to place!

It's the most fantastic amazing experience to be able to walk when you haven't been able to. My walking was down to ten minutes of reliable walking duration, now, 8 months post op, I can walk for hours on end!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It includes my experience before the surgery and my decision to have a TKR. It has a lot of useful suggestions and information too.

Skim read or read the abridged version if it's a bit too long😀😃

All the best for your surgery and keep us posted!

• Posted

Thanks Jenny..i look forward to reading your experience and will let you know what I think..im not in UK...I'm across the water!

• Posted

Hi I'm having my op 13th December BUT it's my second on a differant leg I'm anxious just the same but know what to expect and how to handle problems this site will keep you right so ask away the members are super

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.