Been constipated for 11 Days after a appendix removal, what do I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been constipated now for 11 Days after my appendix removal via laparoscopy last week. I knew this could happen especially being coeliac so I began taking Osmolax 3 times a day. As this didn’t work after 3 Days I started taking two coloxyl tablets two before bed and 4 movicol sachets a day along with tonnes of water. I have been in crazy amounts of pain because of it so decided to go to the doctor after using enemas and trying exercise. The doctor said I had done everything but to Up the movicol to 8 sachets a day which I have done. I have now tonight been feeling horrible nausea and intense pain and still nothing so I’m not sure whether or not to go to the emergency because the pain is horrible. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It seems like you have done so much! I would go to ER and make sure there is no blockage.
    • Posted

Do you reckon they’ll accept me! Feel like it’s such a silly issue but just causing me so much pain 😰

• Posted

Try prune juice oranges.  Movicol can take ages to work and then it can cause diarrhoea.  If this doesn’t work, go to emergency care.
    • Posted

Yeah been having pear juice and prune juice 😢 mixed with Movicol so gross 

• Posted

Try to relax; your bowel will take time to adjust.  Abdominal surgery can disturb the nerves there.  These nerves are very sensitive. The more you stress, the more your abdomen and bowel will get aggravated.  Keep persevering with the fruit and laxatives and try to distract your mind with other things.  Stress can tense up your bowel muscles and cause them to under or over work.  Remember, your doctor is there for you.  You can always ring your surgery for advice and reassurance.  They are used to anxious patients; most of us on this forum have experienced intense anxiety over our symptoms.
  • Posted

Correction: prune juice and oranges.  You may have fecal impaction.
  • Posted

I had some constipation the other day. Not as bad as yours but I hate prunes so I ate baby food prunes that night and it worked the next morning.
    • Posted

Yeah thankyou! I’ve been drinking heaps of pear and prune juice apparently that’s meant to do something but yay it hasn’t 😅

• Posted

Maybe I’ll try some full prunes though thankyou ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.