Been cured of Chronic Angioedema for 2 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'll tell you about my journey with idophatic angioedma and how I was cured. Basically in Nov 2014 i went out with a few friends to a seafood restaurant( im not allergic to seafood btw). I had some calamari and guinness. Later that evening i noticed a small bump or rash on my chin. I was surprised because Im from the Caribbean(we eat alot of seafood) but i went to the pharmacy and bought some zrytec. Took it and the rash went away.

About two weeks later the left side of my face became swollen. Went to the campus doctor (I go to school in Canada) and they gave me some antibiotics to try and those did not help. They then did some blood work for my thyroid, tested for mumps and for cellulitus. THey all came back negative. So i began praying to God for some help because the swelling would reapear every 4 days after it intially goes down. The annoying part was that it would be different parts of my face that would begin to swell. My eyebrow, eyelid, chin, cheeks, forehead.

In January 2015 I was given an appointment with a local allergist who told me i was experiencing chronic uticaria  and angioedema. SHe tested for HAE but that came back negative as well. She started me  out on ceterizine 20mg a day for a month and told me to come back. Over that month the symptoms did not ease up and continue to ravage on. I became self conscious and started to become depress and started to skip classes because of my swollen face. I started eating alot more and stopped going to the gym as much causing me to go from 165 to 190 pounds by that summmer. Anyway I went back to the allergist the following month and she told me to contine with the same treatment for another month. To no avail the same problem persisted. I prayed every night for help so that i would be healed from this illness. Everytime the swelling went away i was like finally tthis is going to be the last time but it wasnt. 4 months later she prescribed me to take ranitidine along with the cetirizine but it didnt work. FInally I went back home for the summer (8 months living with the angioedema symptoms) and saw an allergist there who took me off of all of the meds i was on. He told me that obiviously this drugs werent working for me and prescribed that i take 5mg of levocetirizine and 200mg of plaquenil twice a day(this was july 2015). Immediately i began to see results and the swelling went away and didnt reappear at all. I continued that regime for the next 5 months. I curently take half a plaquenil and one 5mg levocetrizine every 2 months. I havent had an angioedema attack since July 2015. I thought about telling my story before but I prayed on it and wanted tto be sure i waas cured of the angioedema before i shared with everyone. I use to think there was no cure for it but God answered my prayers. He led me to the right allergist who was able to rectify the problem. I was told to share my testimony with you guys. To let you know that through God all things are possible once you have faith. I hope my story encourages someone out there to not give up.There is a cure and a way to live without the daily stress of angioedema and urticaria.

God Bless Everyone

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I just want to say that God and Jesus answers prayers. I pray everyone with this illness is healed
    • Posted

That is wonderful Sebastian!  The power of prayer!  Will you continue these meds or try to go off slowly.?

thank you for sharing about the Lord!

Blessings,

wendy

• Posted

i am slowly getting my body use to being without them. I only take a low dose once every 2 months now.
  • Posted

Thank you SO much for sharing this today. I am a person of faith as well and have asked many people to pray for me. Today has been a very rough day.... bad break out and none of my antihistamines have helped and still very itchy and swollen tonight. Still searching for help... god bless you too!!!
    • Posted

Keep on praying and remain faithful. He will heal you like he has healed me. God bless you too
  • Posted

Normally I breakbout during the night but the last three days I have broke out badly in late afternoon and evening. Do any of you break out at various times? I thought I was getting better but the past few days my break outs have been unbearable.
    • Posted

I use to break out overnight or first thing in the morning. I use to feel when the area was about swelll
    • Posted

Me too, that's what has me so baffled right now.  Yesterday I broke out more in the late afternoon....as if it was linked to something that I ate........this morning I am some better...the swelling is down and there are very few new ones....although the ones from yesterday are not gone completely.  My dermatologist that I saw yesterday wants me to take two Zyrtac every morning and then put me on Doxepin 25 mg at bedtime...I can take 1 or 2 as needed and then xanax too if I still can't sleep because of the itching.  Hoping my blood work today shows some indication of what I can do to get this to stop!  I'm so thankful for you communicating with me......other than this website, I have no one to talk to who truly understand! 

• Posted

I'm glad I could provide some support in this matter. I felt the same way about it when it was happening to me. I never had allergies before but keep praying and through God all will be well

• Posted

Help please ---- my hives seems to be getting better...always worse in the morning, but started fading as soon as I took my big dose of antihistamines.  The past week, they get worse AFTER I get out of bed and start my day....breaking out in huge patches all morning and early afternoon.  Has anybody experienced this?  This is just overwhelming me...........................  
    • Posted

Speak to your allergist and explain to them that they treatment isn't working and find out if there any other available drug combinations that would work for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.