Been depressed for 14 months now need some advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks i am really at the end of my teather now...i have suffered depression an d anxiety now for 14 months and i am totally exhausted.......i stay in my pjs most of the day and am now getting agraphobic and very anti social......i dont even want to talk to my friends or anyone and can feel myself going in on myself and i cant stop it......it all started when my rent was increased and i was worried i would be homeless...since then i constantly have a negative conversation going in my head every waking day and its destroying me i am crying as i am typing this...i have tried mirt anti depressent and am now on effexor which i dont think are working as feel the same been on them 6 months now...14 months ago i was a completely different person and i want to be that person again i am so scared i will be like this forever...i have started councelling done one session...but still feel the same..im am single an 59 years old ...i live alone ...i have no family...has anyone ever felt like this and could advise on how i can get over this ..thanks in advance

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I was depressed and had anxiety and panic attacks last year. I am on fluoxetine for depression and mirtasapine for anxiety for 3 months now. It took 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. I felt exactly the same as you and thought I would never feel normal again. I feel great now. I done cbt and went to stress management course. I hope the new meds work for you.

You must try and get up and wash and go out for little walks. I know what yr going through. I just felt like staying in bed, but I made myself get up.

I am sure you will feel better soon.

Good luck

D

• Posted

You may need to change your meds or increase the dose. See your doctor

• Posted

thanks for reply deborah much appreciated...you are right i need to force myself to go out its just after 14 months i am finding it harder not easier....maybe change of meds mite help....
    • Posted

do fluxotine work for you have you tried any other antidepressents maybe they would work for me...at end of teather now must do something thanks
    • Posted

Fluoxetine work fantastic for me. I took them abt 8 years ago wen I was depressed too. I feel very happy and content in my life.
    • Posted

thank you deborah maybe i will go and review my meds glad you feeling happy and content ...cheers for info
  • Posted

lesley - my email flew away from me - I am sure that it will change and get better and I think the negative self talk will settle a bit when you take some baby steps. Best to you jen
  • Posted

As I always say, we came alone and we're going alone. There are real great great people on here - just think of them as family, Lesley! You are not alone ever. X
  • Posted

Lesley, yes I've felt like this and its awful. I use to drag myself out of bed and couldn't seem to get going. I'd then get mad with myself for not doing stuff around the house or making an effort to go out and visit friends etc. I did get over this with the help of medication, group therapy and counselling plus lots of determination. At the group session was advised to make a list of things to do and cross them off. This helped because it made me feel that I had achieved something even though it was only something simple. Xxx hope your soon feeling better sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.