Been depressed for ages

Posted , 3 users are following.

MY QUESTION IS. HAS ANYBODY ON HERE ATTEMPT TO TAKE CITALOPRAM TWICE AFTER SYMPTOMS CAME BACK AND HAD SUCCESS DOES IT WORK A 2ND TIME AROUND. DO YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN WILL IT WORK AGAIN OR DO YOU HAVE TO GO ON ANOTHER MEDICATION

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

U can start it again if it worked b4 theres a good chance it'll work again but u will get the side effects again

• Posted

I'm on Citalopram for the second time, and yes it worked again.  If its worked for you before, it'll work again.  I had a different experience restarting my meds this time around - It took longer and I had only one evening only of sheer anxiety, but the rest of the time I was flat, felt nothing for months.  It was annoying but slowly the meds settled and I was back to being happy and anxiety free again.

You could start on a very low dose of 5mg maybe and work your way up, as it'll probably lesses the side effects.

K x

• Posted

Hi Katina,

I've been on and off citalopram 3 times so far, mainly as a result of my doctor not being aware of how difficult it can be to withdraw and thus, not prescribing the citalopram drops which allow a withdrawal over many months not just weeks. Each time I came of the tablet citalopram, it was just a few days that I crashed. This was withdrawal effects. I re-started and after a few days I felt great again. This may be a bit different to yourself as I was only off the citalopram for a few days, where as you may have been off for longer. Either way, the citalopram worked well again. When you have been on citalopram for longer than a year, it can be incredibly hard to get off. The drops have given me a realistic chance to get off for good.

• Posted

Withdrawing from Citalopram is best done by 5mg at a time, each taking 2 months.  I bought a pill cutter and cut my 20mg into 1/4's making each one 5mg and I've gone from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 (the last 5mg I had to crush and then I took half = 2.5mg).  I've had no withdrawl effects at all and have been withdrawing this last year - and had been on them 16 years.

Doesn't matter if you've been on them for a year or a few months - you still need to do the withdrawl as slow as possible.  The slower the better. I've heard about the liquid form - sounds great.  Hopefully you'll be able to come off for good with the liquid form xxxx wink

K xx 

• Posted

Hey I don't want to withdraw I want to know if they will work a second time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.