Been depressed for so long feeling hopeless

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, I'm new to this website.. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me ...

I've been taking citalopram, 20mg for the last year, they did help for like 6 months or so but I've slumped back to the dark place again.

I've seen my GP and she suggested to up my dosage to 30mg, so far not so good - its been 3 weeks and I feel like death! I feel so weak and exhausted even worse than before. sad I didn't expect to get sideaffects as I've been on them for nearly a year now.

Has anyone else had these sideaffects after upped dosage? And did it get better and start to take a positive afftect? I'm starting to lose hope.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In a nutshell yes. It worked for me but from time to time I get a downer which lasts anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks then things seem to level off again.

Stick with it, increase the does if your doctor thinks that's appropriate !

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.. Yes I'm going to stick with the increased dose just need to be patient for things to get better, I suppose.

How many mg do you take?

• Posted

I didn't get added side effects but I didn't get many when i first started. I felt it wise to go from 20 mgs to 40 mgs and will never stop taking them. I am better on double dose than on the original 20mgs. They address a chemical imbalance in the system, that's all, if the Doc says you need more, take more especially since they worked before. Sorry you feel rubbish it will improve. When it does, look back on how you felt before the increase and rejoice!
    • Posted

Thank you for your message. Your lucky not get side effects their not pleasent lol.

I think being on 30 mg will help.. just can't wait for the drowsiness and tirdness to lift.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.