Been diagnosed recently with Ectopic beats

Posted , 9 users are following.

A brief back story - I'm a 44 year old male and been diagnosed with a 10% eptpic beats ratio, this has been going on in my knowledge for a year or so. I've had scans of my heart and have been told that my heart is healthy and normal with no signs of any issues with it. I've also got a slightly low ejection fraction, although a second test showed it back as normal. I'm a fairly fit very active male, who could probably do with losing a stone, but I'm certainly not obese or anything. I go to the gym 5 days a week and have no problems with physical activity. I have days when I feel nothing and then days like today when I feel flicks in my chest all day. I've cut right down on caffiene and I don't drink alcohol that often.

The Dr said if I was to choose a heart condition, then this would be the one to choose.

He wants me to go on to Bisopronal(beta blockers) . But I'm really hesitant about doing it, as he said once I start, then it will be forever. My eptopic beats are defintely worse when I'm stressed or tired.

He wanted me to start taking the tablets now and then go for another 24h holter in 6 months. I've asked the Dr to give me 6 months to try and work on my stress levels, before I commit to a lifetime of heart meds. As if I start on the meds now, I'll never know if I could've sorted them out myself.

Would love any advice or real life stories if any of you have manage to cintrol your eptopics without meds? Or any tips on how to self help.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been dealing with something of the sort for about ten years now - very bothersome arrhythmias that the doctors barely acknowledge.

Mine have varied over time but at worst were a lot worse than yours - and five different doctors did no more than shrug and tell me not to worry.

The good news is that beta blockers do help, but here's a thing, I was given atenolol and found that the normal dosage was very scary - but that a much smaller dosage, about 1/4 of the normal starting dosage, was plenty for me, most of the time. Sometimes I've had to increase it to 1/2 the normal dosage.

Yes, stress can trigger them or make them worse, but an absence of stress does not necessarily make them go away, either.

Oh, and before I forget - apparently the doctors are this much right, as horrible as they may feel, apparently people including me can live with them for years and nothing worse seems to come from them.

Finally here's something else I've found that may help - nitric oxide (NO) foods. Arugula (a small leafy salad green very trendy in the US) is about the highest, butter lettuce is also high, you can search out others, and you can also approach it through amino acids arginine and citrulline, available as supplements, foods naturally rich in these include watermelon, pistachios, and again you can search for more. The arugula, just eaten as a small salad twice a day, seems to help me immensely. Between that and the tiny dose of beta blocker my arrhythmias seem to be 99% cleared, with only minimal side-effects.

I asked my doctor about NO drugs, but he said there basically aren't any such heart drugs anymore although forty years ago they were very popular. Now it turns out ED drugs are also NO-related, and I wonder if the regular-dosing option that some come with might work for arrhythmias, but I haven't tried it and haven't seen it written about.

(Watermelon as an ED drug is regularly asked about, but no, you'd have to eat about ten pounds of watermelon to get enough of the active ingredients, lol)

• Posted

ps - as far as beta blockers being "for life", I don't know that there's much truth to that. You do want to taper off them if you've been on, but that's another advantage of my tiny effective dose, I have been able to go off them for weeks and even months, with no real problems.

However, the problems that are being treated with beta blockers are the things that may be "for life", so then of course if you stop the drugs the problems may return, but this is not really certain either.

• Posted

pps - one more thing, years before I had these current arrhythmias I had something much more invasive, but never even went to a doctor about it, which I eventually realized was triggered by a food item. One of my favorite food items! Actually a couple, either spicy curry, or szechuan chili sauce. It tooks months of my wondering why I had these violent arrhythmias every Friday afternoon, lasting through most of the weekend. Then I realized it wasn't every Friday, and eventually connected with the fact that sometimes I missed the Thursday special curry lunch! OMG!

Then I had to figure it out again with the chili sauce.

No other spicy foods seem to bother me.

In case you find anything like that yourself, of course might be some other food entirely.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi John,

I'm Mark, I have I have had ectopics on and off for a good amount of years now. Sometimes I have quite regularly here and there and sometimes bout of loads all day type thing.

For me, stress, very overweight poor sleep and no exercise can contribute, usually once I start gym again and better food etc they go. Or, if juts being reassured after an echo etc then I stop worrying and they get better. I know when I worry they worse but the scans are always reasuring and I calm down from this.

Your not on your own, and I'm still here over ten years later. Im grateful to God when I don't have them all the time, and the age I'm in 46 personally ahere seems to be less wiggle room for not being fit etc. and lots of takeaways and late nights.

It's great that you go gym. For me just rwgular cardio seems to help.30 mons or so then I cool down

If I over do it on weights then this can also trigger me, so I tend to do cardio for a few weeks before doing any weights again when returning to the gym.

Finally my vegus nerve when overweight or full of gas gets agrivated in my stomach and can trigger them, so when I have lots I try to avoid gassy foods.

Hope this help

Mark 🙂

• Posted

Hi John,

I'm Mark, I have I have had ectopics on and off for a good amount of years now. Sometimes I have quite regularly here and there and sometimes bout of loads all day type thing.

For me, stress, very overweight poor sleep and no exercise can contribute, usually once I start gym again and better food etc they go. Or, if juts being reassured after an echo etc then I stop worrying and they get better. I know when I worry they worse but the scans are always reasuring and I calm down from this.

Your not on your own, and I'm still here over ten years later. Im grateful to God when I don't have them all the time, and the age I'm in 46 personally ahere seems to be less wiggle room for not being fit etc. and lots of takeaways and late nights.

It's great that you go gym. For me just rwgular cardio seems to help.30 mons or so then I cool down

If I over do it on weights then this can also trigger me, so I tend to do cardio for a few weeks before doing any weights again when returning to the gym.

Finally my vegus nerve when overweight or full of gas gets agrivated in my stomach and can trigger them, so when I have lots I try to avoid gassy foods.

Hope this help

Mark 🙂

• Posted

Hey John sorry to hear your story. I have bicupsid aortic vavle and aortic regurgitation and this causes ectopic beats palpitations and high heart rate easily. I was on bisoprodl before and came of them because they left me very tired. It isn't always life sentence. Most ectopic beats are harmless do they cause you any symptoms?

• Posted

I suddenly got ventricular ectopic beats and was put on bisor beta blocker , it stopped them a d I have reduced the dosage to .7 mg and go weeks with none , I am not sure why they say once on then thats it for life ,I am older than you and didnt want to take them they make you tired but did help with stress, maybe try very low dose , i would also take magnesium it helps . Good luck , ask lots of questions and do some research , look up York Cardiology and listen to their talks , lots on different irregular beats

• Posted

is there a link between low ejection fraction and ectopic beats? mine echo showed 55% ejection fraction.

• Posted

Hi John.. I suffered with 10% ectopics for about 3 years taking bisoprolol. My Cardiologist suggested a course of Magnesium Citrate supplement.. After a few weeks the ectopics stopped and have never returned nor has the associated AF...Its been cured for 2 years now.. Its hard to say whether the cure was a result of the supplement, but I still take it "just in case".. good luck Roger D

• Posted

Quite agree with the magnesium, in any of the five or six forms it's available as a supplement - or eat some almonds or other high-magnesium foods!

For me it was helpful, and I still take it, but not a complete fix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.