been diagnosed with anxiety... looking for some help pls..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Few months ago I suffered a house fire... luckily I'm a light sleeper and awoke to the sound of flames... o woke my misses and got my 2 children and the dog out safly. ... 2 months later after lots of stress and moving around waiting for the house that I didn't want to go back to get rebuilt I suffered a major panic attack. I thought it was a heart attack and was dying... I went to hospital for observation but all was well.... that's the start of where I am now. . From day to day I have all sorts of feelings and thoughts go through my body and mind... I do feel I'm being fobbed off with anxiety and there is something wrong with me... blood test came back ok.. ecgs have been normal.. I've been on 10mg citalopram for 7 weeks now... I feel it has helped but still have moments where I think something is happening or going to... my latest worry I'd having a fit... I get a squeezing feeling on my head which starts me off... get a tight net and shakes.. not bad shakes but enough to notice...

Please can you tell me if this is normal and what sort of effects and feelings you have?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Normal for an anxiety disorder. But if this only started with the house situation can be situational anxiety if you dont want it then why fix it uo and just sell it and move somewhere you are happy. Im assuming they checked you for carbon monoxide poisioning.

so many people just feel their lives and happiness have some price tag on it. If you want to move then you should.life is too short to be miserable of something in your control.

• Posted

Completely agree.. unfortunately we are in a social housing property... we not scum or anything where we live is nice as far as housing associations go... I was mortgage approved and we were looking for a house before the fire.... bit obviously now things have changed. .. currently out of work due to this anxiety stuff... but this did not start until couple months after.... I struggle to believe it's linked... I've gone from a hardy man who could do what ever, eat what ever to basicky a paranoid broken man....

• Posted

I went through something very much the same, it was one of the reasons we moved and started again

You could try Breathing Exersises that may help you calm your fears. If you are suffering from fears of the fire and prefer to move there is no reason you cannot do that. We sold up our own home and have now moved to a nice countryside bungalow.. Sometimes we need to know when to smell the roses and look for a new life.I am sorry what has happened to you try and move on you will find the past is over and a future has just begun

B.

• Posted

Thank you... thing is a can't see link.. I'm not as fortunate as some to just move house.. I'm not a home owner.. I don't know if the house effects me... I dont know if I'm blocking the truth about it or just trying to get on with things. ..

• Posted

All I can suggest is see how it goes, if the property is not yours and you are unsettled look for something else. You family needs to be comfortable where they live. If your family feels that because of what happened they want to move and start again, you will need to discuss what you all want, no-one can really tell you what to do here we all do things differently  and make our own deisions
  • Posted

It may not seem like it's linked but anxiety can build up over a period of time. You got out safely and I'm sure you check things before you go to bed now. Don't think you are weak or broken you are not your just a man who's been strong for too long, be kind to yourself, take some time to yourself and do things you enjoy. I wish you all the very best you can beat this I promise smile

• Posted

Have you spoken to your Dr about some CBT councelling? It looks like you really could do with some help in that area.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.