Been diagnosed with mono and really scared and depressed.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I've recently been diagnosed with Mono. The lead up to it all began when I felt I wasn't able to recover from my workouts. I thought , hey, no biggie, maybe I've been pushing myself a bit at work and gym more than usual. A couple days went by and I noticed upon getting home from work I felt like my head felt a little funny (floaty). Then, upon waking up in the morning I felt as if I hadn't gotten enough sleep. My eyes felt heavy. This continued for a few days and I started to get a little suspicious. Despite this, I did my best to shrug it off. I continued work (I'm a mechanic btw). So, then I started noticing muscle fatigue at work. Although it was slight it was still noticeable . Being an Industrial Mechanic is very physical job. I started noticing my muscles would get fatigued doing tasks I would normally have no problem with. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried at this point. One day it hit me when I woke up. I felt very weak and fatigued. I was very worried at this point and decided to go out to dinner to get the heck out of the house. I remember being at the restaurant and wanting to fall asleep at the table I was sitting at. At this point there was no denying something was up. My legs felt weak and tired just walking a few steps! I started feeling this fatigue/weakness in my shoulders back and chest not long after. Bad. I then developed this lump type sensation in my throat that made it slightly difficult to pass food. I Would eat but felt like nothing would stick. Tasks became too difficult at work and I ended up taking time off. Over the next few days I developed night sweats and occasional headaches. I became very scared, sad, and depressed. Really depressed. I immediately made Drs. appointment. The first Dr suspected anxiety but proceeded with blood work. The tests came back negative. I wasn't convinced. I ended up making an appointment with my primary after he had come back from vacation. I gave him a full list of my symptoms. He listened and ordered some more blood work. Sometime went by and I checked back online for my results. Turns out I tested positive fir mono. Sorry for the long post I've just been having an extremely difficult time dealing with all of this. I stay strong in front of people but the reality is I cry behind closed doors. I hope I can find people to relate to here. I continue to experience the same symptoms. Fatigue/weakness, sweats, weightloss despite eating, sleepiness, headaches, trouble passing some food. I'm just in a state of fear. I have no one else to go to I feel like. I hope to hear back from you all soon.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too had about the same. I am an ironworker and it got to where anything i did made me tired and i would feel like sitting down. My fatigue got worse and worse until i crashed i december and for two-three months i literally had trouble just walking to the bathroom. Lightheadedness tired trouble breathing couldnt hardly eat from nausea i lost 15-20 pounds. headaches brainfog. Did not have the want to to do anything. I in the last month started having trouble swallowing my food like it would get stuck in my throat. I went to the emergency room many times and all kinds of doctors which find nothing out of the ordinary besides they said i tested positive for mono low vitamin D and a hiatal hernia. It has given me anxiety and panic attacks which i never had before the mono. I also got high blood pressure fast heart rate night sweats poor balance from it as well but most of that has passed. I tried vitamins and suppliments but they did not seem to help me a whole and my doctor told me to stop taking them and just eat what i used to eat and have gained a fee pounds back but it seems to be up and down with many symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Josh. Did they ever run tests on your throat to see what was up? Any kind of special tests?

• Posted

They did a scope on my throat twice once to check for ulcers before they knew i had mono and another one because i got a piece of chicken stuck and it felt like it was still in there but was not so since then when i eat i drink plenty of fluids and chew well and small bites which is the opposite of what i used to do. It is just more of an aggrivation than anything now. They said some people have to have their throats stretched some but mine really wasnt very tight.

• Posted

Oh wow. How odd. The sensation of the chicken was still there despite there being nothing? I'm happy to hear everything worked out for you and came out okay. How you holding up?

• Posted

I still feel tired and weak i went back to work but can do very little of what i used to do and i still have numbness tingling nausea headaches abdominal pain to name a few but i am better than i was dec-feb just seem to be stuck right now with good days bad days just trying to make money and survive the financial side of this being out of work so long.

• Posted

That sounds rough. I wish you nothing but the best and recovery. I'm feeling the same way, trust me. It'd be okay if I worked in an office but unfortunately thats not the case.

• Posted

Typical Mono symptoms,and i think anxiety is part and parcel of this horrid virus,it affects the whole of your system,ive honestly never had anything like it,you need plenty of rest for your body to heal and recover and vitamins,ive been taking Olive leaf tincture which is supposed to kil the EBV off

• Posted

Okay, thank you for taking the time out to reply. It really means a lot to me. I'm just confused on why its hard to keep the weight on despite me having a good appetite and eating a lot.

• Posted

no way??? how long have you been taking it? How do you feel from day one until now?

• Posted

I think the olive leaf is working and im a lot better than at the beginning 2 years ago but keep having relapses whenever ive had any stress or overdone things

• Posted

hold on tight .... its a horrible long hard journey and yes ! scared the life out of me !!!! it takes a while to level out . people have tried LDN low dose naltrexone and ozone therapy with vitamin iv's too.

• Posted

I hope you're doing okay at the moment Lori, still been thinking about you. Things for me been not too bad lately but on Thursday I received some upsetting news (thankfully not family related or related to anyone's health) and that has rocked me on my feet at the moment, any prayers always appreciated, needing God's help and strength at this time.

Hope the the ozone therapy is going well Lori and that you are feeling some benefits from it and managing to get rest in between the long journeys there and back - keep holding on God is working on things.

Craig

• Posted

thank you craig .. not doing too badly but little things still keep popping up .. new symptoms but all in all much better.

hope you are ok !

• Posted

Thanks Lori yes doing okay thanks, received a very difficult and nasty letter from previous employer this week which has upset and worried me, trying not to let it bother me but still has unsettled me quite a bit. Hoping everything settles down and can be okay again with God's help.

Glad to hear that you have been doing not too badly, that is such good news!

Craig

• Posted

REST, REST AND MORE REST!

Iam afraid that is all you can do.

You could try Cq10, Vit D, HIGH vit C and ZINC, and plenty of fluids .

Wishing you well. xxoo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.