Been discharged, devestated

Posted , 4 users are following.

Rang the hospital today to see what the hold up was, to be told I was discharged 6wks ago. I've had no letter, nothing. They have no record of me attending at another hospital for tests and as my barium and colonoscopy were clear, that's it. I'm at my wits end. How can they tell me I have inflammation in my bowel and not follow it up? How can I be told I have SIBO and not even follow that up? I could cry :'( Don't know what to do

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Go back to your GP and get him to get the ball rolling. You should have been told that you had been discharged. Can your GP get the results of the tests from the other hospital? Once he has those he will know who to refer you to.

Good luck x

• Posted

hi Jo,

That is alot to contend with and I'm sorry for what you are going through.

I wish I had an easy answer but I think if you go back to your Dr. and explain the situation they might be of some help hopefully. I'm no too sure what SIBO is. And as far as IBD normally they would give you some kind of treatment as far as I know so I'm not sure why they aren't doing so. Good luck and I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this.

• Posted

SIBO is Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. If u Google it u will see that it's a secondary disease. It can be treated but will generally recur if the underlying problem in the small bowel is not dealt with sad
    • Posted

Thank-you for clarifying that Jo. It's good to see that you are finally going to get some much needed treatment. That's good to hear. i hope all goes well. 
  • Posted

Hi Jo

Don't give up and don't let the stress and anger over this awful situation eat you up!!

You have every right and reason to be devastated, you've been let down time and time again.........but you're stronger than you give yourself credit for..... You have survived this far. Harness that anger and do something positive with it that will help you. Don't waste it on the stupid mongrels that keep letting you down.

Keep a journal, write it ALL down, draw a picture, make a sculpture, grow a garden, walk a mile or two, sing a song..... Just do anything that will turn that sadness and disappointment into a smile!!

Thinking of you and feel for you

I do understand how tough it all is

Keep on keeping on! X

• Posted

Oh yeah, forgot to say..... Go back to your GP..... Change your GP if you have to..... And keep your own medical file. Write down an agenda for each appointment. And write up minutes/ outcomes afterwards...... This has really helped me manage the mismanagement of my own medical nightmares!! It will give you a sense of control and awareness. And let's face it, they keep a big record file on us that we cannot look at...... Why not keep one on them!!

Take care x

• Posted

Hi, just to update. The hospital called me back this afternoon and the other hospital sent a fax to say I had small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, I'm lactose fructose and glucose intolerant. The secretary spoke with the Consultant and lo and behold, I need to be seen to commence treatment ASAP. She apologised on behalf of the consultant and said I could chose when I wanted to be seen in light of the fact I have inflammation in my bowel also and I shouldn't have been left so long. I'm still pretty angry about it all, but hopefully I can finally get some answers next week! Thanks for all the support folks x
    • Posted

That's great news Jo.... Sort of.....you must feel some relief to be taken seriously. With all those intolerances you should be asigned a dietitian to help you.

Good luck. Fingers crossed this is the path to treatment and diagnosis. X

• Posted

Absolutely, thank you. It's just lovely to finally be able to say "see, I'm not neurotic, I'm not depressed, I'm not anorexic and I'm not lying"!!!! X
    • Posted

Brilliant, I'm so glad they got back to you and you'll now get sorted out. Hope things go smoothly for you from now on x

• Posted

Thanks Chris, its a huge relief to be taken seriously after 20 years x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.