Been feeling feint, dizzy and lightheaded constanly for over a week.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, for the last week I was have been feeling extremely off balance. Almost to the point that I do not want to get out of bed. This occured a few days after recovering from a cold. I know it can not be a vitamin or mineral issue. As about a month ago. I had all my bloods checked. B12, folate, Iron, Ferritin, U&E. Thyroid function, vitamin D and a full blood count came back negative or normal. I'm just a loss what it could be. I do get twitches every now and then (Hence the bloodtests). But, a neurologist said that they were benign. Only other thing I can think of is that I get a hissing sound in my ear sometimes. Could that be connected?

I'm 25 and in very good shape. So, not quite sure why I am getting so ill.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi as the doctor looked in your ears to see if you got a ear infection? Do you have a spinning Sensation like the room is spinning?
  • Posted

Hi Anthony, sorry you're feeling so rough, I have this problem as well, it is caused by the cold virus which can sometimes attack the inner ear, the virus attacks the vestibular nerve and inflames it, I find this takes about a week to settle and its best to try and do as much as possible as you normally would, it normally comes on about a week to 2 weeks after a bad cold, or even if you have the cold virus but it has not developed into the cold as with my latest bout, some people are lucky and only get it once in a lifetime, I have now had it 3 times, I believe that it is because I am run down at the time and can not fight the virus properly, it lies dormant then comes out as this. You can try travel sickness pills and iboprofen to try and ease the symptoms but basically you just need to ride it out, hope you're feeling better soon I know it's rough

• Posted

Hi Tina,

?Are you talking about labrynthitis/vestibular neuritis?  I was told that it's very rare for it to come back and that it's usually decompensation.  I had a bad sinus infection in 2012 and I still have problems in busy places.  I have a five year old little girl and I feel bad because I still am unable to drive her anywhere on my own.

• Posted

Hello,

?Yes, I have and it hasn't seemed to help.  I just try to keep chugging along as best I can.

• Posted

Are you taking any corticosteroids for any length of time? Sometimes, that can cause dizziness or lightheadedness. It could also be anxiety related.
  • Posted

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread back up again. Just wanted to post a quick update. I spoke to my doctor about three weeks ago who said it was probably labyrinthitis or something to do with my middle ear.

He gave me naproxen and betahistine. This did the trick for the balance problems. I no longer feel light headed or bed ridden. But, lately I have been getting a horrible ringing in my ears. My ears are also fluttering on and off when people talk to me or I talk back.

Not sure it It's my benign twitching, the middle ear problem or the medication causing this. Can anyone help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.