Been given propanalol very nervous to take it

Posted , 5 users are following.

Iv bee suffering from anxiety disorder for years I'm on citilopram. I'm still very anxious and gave constant heart palpitations . Iv been given propanalol 3 times and every time I havant taken them. My doctor said to day I need to start takin them. I'm very scared of side affects. Sarong and stopping them. Has any one ever had problems do they help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, propanol should defintely help with your heart palpitations. It might / might not help with anxiety. I have taken it before and I experienced no side effects. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Its your decision Nicole take the meds and you will have some side effects for a few weeks then they will help control your anxiety

OR

Suffer the way you have been

The choice is your everyone reacts differently to meds

Stay Strongrolleyes

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram for only three weeks and already feel a difference, a good one. But I am already on Metroprolol which is similar to the medication your Dr is suggesting. I am also on very low dose of Ativan - only .250mg 3 times a day.

I had a 90% blockage and Stent put in in Feb and I got very anxious after that and shaky. I was already suffering with some depression and anxiety when this happened. It of course escalated both.

Honestly I am not reading about any side effects or how to ween off. I am just beginning to feel normal and a bit happy even. So I will keep taking whatever is necessary to make me feel well. I am also starting with therapy and have been reading a grwat book, The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I was prescribed propanalol and like you was nervous to take it. My anxiety got so bad I just had to bite the bullit and go for it. I suffered only slight side effects which werent troublesome and soon eased off. The propanalol certainly eased the anxiety and I've been taking them for about 4 months now but have recently been warning myself off them as I've been prescribed sertraline which have been helping with my anxiety. It's been a long hard road - but I'm hoping that this latest medication I've been given does the trick. I wish I didn't have to rely on pills but for now I'm so blasted with the anxiety I haven't got the strength to conquer the anxiety any other way. I take one day as it comes and try to stay upbeat (it's hard) but I am beginning to have some good days. Try the propanalol - at least you'll get some relief from the anxiety symptoms. All the best.

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I was on these but I stopped taking them no side affects at all but I decide I'm going to stop the anxiety and heart palpitations my self and iv learnt to control my anxiety by just breathing and focus on something else like when u start feeling anxious and heart racing etc get up and so something to keep your mind off it as it's mostly physiology that why u feel like u do example u thinking of the side effects u taking them will prob make u think oh I'm feeling funny when In fact ur not its just the anxiety

Just be a strong and don't let it control your life and please remember ur not at danger

I had or have anxiety for ages 6 years and now I very rare get any symptoms but when I do just put it off and keep your body and mind busy hope this has helped x

• Posted

Thanks. I'm gonna try it il start in the mornin as I have work tonight so don't wanna be worrying about that. I will try that book as well. It's so horrible feeling like this hope u all feel better soon to x
    • Posted

Yes, it is awful living like this. But techniques can help you. I quit using Google for health and drug info because if I read a symptom I will probably give it to myself.

Thinking positive that the medication will help is a good start.

Hope you feel better too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.