been gym for first time and tonight suffering with anxiety symptons - is it because i over did it

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i joined the gym today in the hope of exercise and healthy eating to help with my anxiety. however i am a bit overweight and havent been gym before but do a hell of a lot of walking. when i joined today i had a personal training session which was warm up cool down and 45 minutes of boxing - was very hard work for me but i did it. But tonight i have been feeling awful with anxiety sympton racing heart, hot flushes, sicky, headachy, weak bladder is it possible that i am just feeling like this because i took a battering at the gym and thats why my anxiety symptons are kicking in - should i just start the gym slowly and work my way up to the boxing sessions so my body gets used it first - thankyou in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Exercise is supposed to help relieve anxiety as I understood. It maybe that yoir pushing to hard thou take your time
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply and yeah maybe I did for my first visit maybe I should if started with just the equipment and built myself up slowly x
  • Posted

Like the other person said....maybe it was a bit much all at once,  even if you do walk a lot and warmed up etc. plus doing all that hard work has set off adrenolin etc etc.....it is good as you have taken a positive step to getting fitter and healthier...well done. make sure you have drunk enough water aswell to replace what you lost. it does seem a lot for your first session....so maybe next time like you say take it a lot easier.....and do tell your trainer this. and as I dont know anything about you i dont know if you would need your doctor to ok you to do this. weel done for positive thinking...and doing!
    • Posted

maybe think about changing your PTrainer...as they should assess what you can do ....and how fit you are first etcetc...it did seem a bit much for first time!  good luck
    • Posted

Thankyou Lucy, the pt is a girl I know at the gym and she knows all about my anxiety etc and this is where the personal training came from to get me going with her as I didn't have much confidence in the idea of going to the gym - thing is I really really enjoyed it. I am going to get drs appt and just get them to give me a once over, think maybe a bit too much first time. My problem is health anxiety so I think sub consciously when I started aching maybe I was thinking too much that mixed wth the adrenaline and general feeling exhausted after the session x
    • Posted

Hi kezzie thanks for reply. i am so so glad you enjoyed it! well done again. think the docs app might put your mind more at rest and next time you can enjoy it even more....and will be able to relax more when you have finished next time. my problem is a bit of health anxiety too......i think in peoples cases nowadays maybe the internet isnt such a good thing as we can look anything up....and then panic about things we've read unneccesarily! (spelling oops). be so proud of yourself taking this step going to the gym.....all good! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.