Been having trouble falling asleep and waking up every hour or two, need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey community, first time I have posted on a sleep forum. Really need some advice. I am a 24 year old male from Australia and for the last week, i have been having trouble with my sleeping. Quick background: I never had a problem with my sleeping until i was about 17. I used to have trouble going to sleep because I was excited about playing sports the next day. I ended up having to quit because I couldn't sleep at the right time i.e the last night I tried, i got into bed at 1200 and didn't fall asleep till 5 am. The hardest part for me is getting to sleep, it always takes me at least 30 minutes to hours to go to sleep, i have this anxiety of going from being conscious to going into sleeping, I don't know why I have this, I can only describe it as being able to hear your surroundings then your mind shuts off straight away too me is worrying. I also get bad anxiety if i cant go to sleep because I keep thinking that every hour im up, the moreI feel like I won't ever sleep.The way I used to deal with it was that if i couldn't sleep, I would eventually fall asleep and get between 5-9 hours of sleep and that used to help, but this last week, i mentally try to sleep, and when I do, i keep waking up every hour or two. I used to have movies playing in the background that would take my mind of it, but that just makes me think about time passing by. My sleeping is bad as well, for years, i have been going to sleep around 4-7 in the morning and waking up between 12-3 in the day. Before this week, i was getting solid sleeping nights for months, but now its all over the place. Last night i fell asleep at 1am, then woke up at 3am, got into bed at 6am, didnt get to sleep till 8ish, woke up at 930. Fell asleep again, woke up at 11, then fell asleep and finally woke up at 330 in the daytime. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I am at the stage where I cant relax when I get into bed and try to avoid it as much as i can. Ive been hoping that one night, i get just 5 hours straight sleep, but to no avail. Thanks for reading.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Heya walto

So sorry you are facing much trouble.

First of all don't try to sleep.

Let sleep come to you

Every day you stay in bed same time and you get up same time

For example you go to bed 7 pm close your eyes ,you will fall asleep by 9 pm ,you wake up by 7 am.

If you do not get sleep between 7 pm to 7 am let it be.say yourself no problem

You sleep or not you get out of bed room by 7 am every day.

After few days you will start falling asleep between 7 pm and 7 am.

You keep your watch away from you don't see time after 7 pm.

Never take sleep medication

Eat dinner by 6 pm

Eat a banana and drink big glass of warm milk by 7 pm

When you won't give sleep to your body in between 7 am to 7 pm ie day time, eventually your body will adjust to sleep only night times

I hope this helps

• Posted

Well it's a battle that can be won! Your bedroom should be a place for sleep only. Don't excercise,watch movies or play on your phone. Make sure your room is dark. Stick to a schedule. Lights out 10. All of that said did you know Gellitan is a wonderful supplement that aids in sleep. 1 Tablespoon everyday. If you make protein drinks add a Tbs right to it or make Jello in an ice cube tray and eat one square before bed. It's great for joints, hair, skin and nails too. If you wake up just roll over and go back to sleep. If you get annoyed or mad it ellivates your heart rate and that's tough for anyone to sleep. Stay calm and focus only on the black nothing. Sleep. Sometimes an underlying problem may be waking you up at certain times. Try the Gellitan powder it worked for my husband.

• Posted

Hey Walto,

I think the best thing to do is set yourself a routine, which you must follow. Try to go to bed at a certain time and avoid cell phone and tv lights as they make you less sleepy. If your thoughts are overpowering, why don't you try some soothing music? It really helps me. I love some classical music before I sleep. My stressful job keeps me up at night and I have a bad habit of checking the time over and over again. Please don't make the same mistake I did. 

Another thing I did that I really think other people should try it a light therapy lamp. Its honestly helping me fall asleep faster. I bought mine from www.circadia.io. Its worth a try. Their technology is super interesting. it tracks your circadian rythm to understand how to best improve your sleep. I'm really liking it so far. If this a problem, maybe look into something similar, or you could check this one out. 

Goodluck and let me know if you find another way. Please just don't take pills!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.