Been in hell since labrum and bicep tenodesis surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

ey guys,

I had a labrum and bicep tenodesis surgery exactly 3 months ago and ever since the very first night I haven’t gotten a good night sleep. I wake up every hour on the hour , it doesn’t matter what I take. I’ve seen my GP, my ortho surgeon I’m just at a lost. On top of that I’m a olive skin complexion so I’m fairly dark. A week after surgery I would wake up super pale and now my skin stayed that way. I’m pale and my skin is always cold and clammy. My skin has become super dehydrated as well. I’ve tried almost everything to get answers. Recently did a Doppler ultrasound on both upper limbs to rule out blood clots & that came back normal. Would anyone know what would make my skin turn super white and my skin all over my body is cold to touch and super clammy? Really would like some input as to what can be causing this or if anyone had this before after having arthroscopic surgery on there shoulder or anywhere else.

-Dave

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you taken your blood pressure at home when this happens? I had a similar issue after my hip replacement where my blood pressure would spike to high levels lying down and return to normal when I got up. I was clammy and my skin, which is pale anyway, would be colorless, and i would feel awful. This is just the opposite of classic postural hypotension where the pressure falls suddenly when you get up. This started in the hospital and no amount of testing could find anything. I was readmitted to the hospital a week or so later with the same symptoms with nothing found.

Researching this I found an article in the British Journal of Anesthesiology online which described these symptoms in patients who were fast tracked after hip replacement with spinal anesthesia, meaning they were mobilized early and went home soon. I printed out the article and gave it to my ortho surgeon,who was respectful enough to read the summary in front of me, and said he had not seen this but would pass it on to the anesthesiologist.There was no treatment except hydration and wait it out. Although that was a scary month looking at the those BP numbers at the time. This went away without treatment.

Two thoughts for you. Take your blood pressure at home and research your symptoms. Somewhere out there is someone else with exactly what you have. And there are many studies available from respected places. search on your symptoms, one by one and together and I bet there is a study out there describing your problem.

good luck and let us know what you find out.

• Posted

Bravo, Maryboo. You hit the nail right on the head. The only other thing I would add would be to check iron levels too.

• Posted

Hey,

I've had so much blood work done , iron levels are normal. it just doesnt make sense. I hardly sleep the last 3 1/2 months but when i do sleep i wake up an hour or 2 later and both my arms are ice cold. ive never had pale skin in my life and ive been a ghost since my surgery. im losing hope.

-Dave

• Posted

Dave, I had another thought. when they do shoulder surgery your arms are in a certain position so they can work. It is possible that you had pressure on certain nerve bundles, for example the brachial plexus, which might cause this problem for you? That might require an electromyogram to diagnose, in which tiny needles are inserted along nerve roots and send a tiny electrical charge to see if they are working. Or your nck was in a strainedposition for a long time. Surgeons and the operating staff are usually very particular tokeep the patients body in a correct position, but stuff happens sometimes. Just another thing to look at.

• Posted

can i ask a question? Is your skin pale throughout your body all the time? Does it ever go away? Can you do anything to make it go away?

• Posted

honestly, it doesn't go away. sometimes when i get up and walk around my leg and arms get alil darker but my body just looks super dehydrated. once i lay down my body becomes pale again and really cold. hardly got any sleep last night cause i woke up and my arms were ice cold. my skin is just taking a huge beating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.