been made redundant on medical grounds

Posted , 3 users are following.

so after a formal meeting at work yesterday and coming to the conclusion that work are unable to help me any further or adjust my role o a permanent basis they have made me redundant on medical grounds

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sarapainfree I am so sorry to hear youve been made redundant hun. Its terrible that your place of work wernt willing to adjust your role so you could carry on working. It is difficult trying to work with fibro those that do work do struggle. some employers are willing to help support their employee with medical issues, some just wount unfortunatly. You gave it your best shot at trying to work with fibro. none of it is your fault that you had to have time off. Its your employers loss. take care sending you a big hug xx 
    • Posted

thanks kaz I can understand from a business point of view as I do have a lot of time off feel bit of mixed emotions and feelings about it be sad Togo as love the kids at the school and have good friends there but as sad as it is to loose my job I'm going to have that bit of time now to rest when needed too and come to terms with my condition just the financial part of things I have to try sort out now altho we are ok as my husband works and get tax credits just a lot to sort out x
  • Posted

Hi Sarapainfree

That is such sad news.  It's just not fair to be treated in this way. Maybe you can find that is not too painful for you.  Take time out and concentrate on your health.  Don't let this get you down and stay positive and focused. Give it time and I am sure something  perfect will come your way.

Sending you warm comforting hugs from ME to YOU.......wink xx

• Posted

thankyou yes I'm not going to let it get me down a lot to sort out and get organised financial sized of things got a nice holiday booked for august so il be making the most of the hot sun on my skin and relaxing I'm just going to concentrate on my self and getting some energy so I cam.spend time with my kids smile
    • Posted

Hi Sara: 

It is important that you have a great boss who has compassion and understand peoples concerns.  I had a situation like that but related to any illnesses or conditions.  When I got back from Hawaii where I had a job but no longer, I got this new job.  After a couple of weeks, I had to go in for removal of a bad kidney stone and only can be done by surgery.  I was in the hospital for 4 or 5 days, and recuperating for another 6 weeks.  I always kept in touch with my supervisor and he encouraged to just get well and don't worry.  Every week I called him to give my status.  He appreciated that.  When I returned to work, we sat down and talked.  He was a very compassionate man.  In turn, I was still being paid for sick leave which I really didn't have any.  Where do you find a boss who is so giving to their employees like he was.  He did not have to do this.  You hope when you get a new job, a boss such as this one is quite valuable.  Unfortunately, many are not this way.  I was also being paid hourly.  When I was well enough to go back to my job, I did over and beyond what my duties were and eventually put on salary which is a promotions.  I told him I wanted that and whatever it took, I will become a devouted employee and never thought about the clock.  This, he appreciated and got an excellent review and a raise.

Of course this doesn't directly relate to our problems here regarding our chronic conditions.  Now, I wonder if that happened being a new employee, can you honestly tell him or her that you have chronic pain or fibromyalgia?  I would think not.  First of all, it will not be understood as having fibro because not much was heard about it then.  Chronic pain?  You are a complainer and hypochondriac and have no use for employees that fall into this situation.  You hope you never get into a situation like this.  We do paint scenarios like this.  On the otherhand, if you are a long term employee and established yourself as a valuable employee, you would be very careful of what you say to your boss.  In my case, I had to take just a job where I would do surveys over the phone.  I liked some but hated it when people would yell at and even threaten me.  I would just hang up on them.  I was eventually promoted to a higher rank being a Princess Cruises representative.  I liked the work.  At the time I didn't have too far to travel.  While working, I had two back surgeries and a lengthly rehab.  I was almost our for 12 weeks.  When I got back to work, I didn't get an extended pay with the exception of my normal sick leave and vacation.  I wasn't laid off so I didn't qualify for unemployment benefits.  After 4 years, the company decided to move from Fullerton, CA to Riverside, CA.  My wife was a RN and had a good job at one of the best hospitals in New Port Beach, CA.  With only one car, she had to have it.  The move meant that I would have to seek alternative transportantion by bus or train.  Train was the best but still it would mean taking the bus to get to the station.  I added up all the costs and for the amount it would have cost me and time, it definately wasn't worth it. I did like the idea of traveling 6 hours a day and getting reduced in pay for the cost of transportation.  My employer wouldn't even compensate me for some of the cost.  This, I had to come to a decision, whether to work or quit.  Quitting meant no unemployment insurance and the company would even give in to lay me off.  They had no grounds to fire me either.  I had to think through this very carefully and I had to quit.  My wife had to keep her job as the pay was quite good and lots of benefits. 

So, it does depend on the circumstances.  I went into this long explanation as when it comes to y our welfare, you really have to weigh the pros and cons of it.  Unfortunately, we patients are at a disadvantage as not only we have to suffer from our conditions and whether it will affect our jobs.  You try to go to work with pain and unable to concentrate when at work.  If you show that you are in distress, you just cant blurt out say you have chronic pain.  People will look at you strange.  I know, it happened to me.  What this all has to do with is security with your job and for yourself.  We never what obstacles we can face and when the time to confront it, is the hardest time to think of a good excuse.  Unfortunately, we fall into this bracket.  Like I said earlier, this of what I said should go somewhere else but when you mentioned the problem in the first place, I thought with my wisdom  rolleyes I would answer it.  Take it for what it is.  Thanks for sharing your views as well.  It keeps me better informed as you never know what we are bombarded with next. Sorry this has happened to you.  Employers just do not understant and make no point to do so.  Keep yourself positive and do what you can do to make it easier on yourself.  Feel well.

mel

• Posted

I wish to add that when I write, there can be errors which change the context of what I am writing.  This can be the exact opposite of what I say.  If I left out a word as never for example, then it does change what the sentence will mean.

for instance:

I did like the idea of traveling 6 hours a day and getting reduced in pay for the cost of transportation.

It should have said that I DID NOT

Like I said earlier, this of what I said should go somewhere else

It should have said go somewhere else IN ANOTHER PART OF THIS FORUM.

I know this may sound trivial but I had to make it clearer.

• Posted

thanks Mel not to worry about the errors thanks for sharing your story I'm just going to take time to process this hole situation and try move forward and get my self better to a certain extent I just want to be back on my feet walk without crutches and not have cronic back and leg pain when I walk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.