Been of citalopram for years, side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi......... years ago I started having panic attacks, I couldn't even leave the house, after getting a doctor to come to me they put me on citalopram. Within a week I was back to my old self, out and about, and with no side effects. I stayed on them for 5 years with no problems whatsoever (apart from weight gain) and I just kinda accidentally came off them, I forgot to take them for a couple of days and when I remembered I just thought oh well, might aswell stay off them.

I felt great, no panic attacks or anxiety, I lost all the weight I had put on and all was good. Until one day I had a panic attack in a shop, after that I kept feeling a bit anxious so I rushed back to the doctors and asked them to put me back on citalopram. Since then I have never felt very well, this was about 6 years ago and have been back and forth to the doctors telling them I don't feel well, I'm tired all the time, I get headaches, I feel really sluggish, I get dizzy spells and still get panic attacks. The doctors have put me on various meds.... but I never felt better with any of them so I asked to go back to citalopram as that one seemed the best one. I've been back on it for a couple of years now but I'm sick of feeling ill all the time! I've had blood tests and my heart checked etc and the doctors can't find anything wrong with me so I'm assuming it must be the meds. I've had enough now and I want my life back.... I'm sick of feeling ill all the time and I'm sick of sleeping the day away.

I want to come off the meds but I'm scared in case I feel worse, I'm on 20mg daily.... how should I taper down, I know it should be done slowly... but how slowly? Thanks for reading.... Gill

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Taper 15-10-5 Im no expert but it's the way I did

🍀🍀🍀

• Posted

Taper 15-10-5 Im no expert but it's the way I did. Mind u km not 100% and I've just done a thread similar to this one lol

🍀🍀🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.