Been off cit for 2 weeks.. Help me.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello guys,

I've been prescribed citalptam since January, initially 10mg but then upped to 20mg as they didn't feel like they were working.

I feel as if they have helped me slightly, as I'm no longer having panic attacks, heart jumping out of chest, mind going 1000000 miles an our, thoughts of suicide to stop all this happening.

I would say for the last, nearly 3 I have felt the anxiety get worse. I would say I have probably been depressed since being a child on a small scale - my dad committed suicide when I was 7 years old - remember everything so vividly.

Since like 2013 it has got worse and have fallen out with many people I thought were friends, thought I could trust them by confiding in them but they just think I'm being funny.

Had to take 1 month off work on sick due to stress and everything due to burnout.

Always had confidence issues and low self esteem.

Feel like its obvious people know what's wrong with me..

Sorry for rambling on and going off topic - but yes I haven't had my tabs for 2 weeks, tried to get an appt but can't get on until next Monday sad it's Tuesday today.. Asked the receptionist but she said go to walk in centre. I refused as I need to see my actual doctor as I trust him and we have a very good relationship.

I just don't know what to do??????? Anybody have any advice? I'm a 25 yr old male from UK.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I came off citalopram 10mg after only taking them for 7 days. Whilst I was on them the anxiety got worse and has not really dropped off since. Heart is constantly racing too, which I believe are side effects of the medication and withdrawal symptoms although no one can really say how long these will last for.

Can I ask if you've had a sexual problems with the 10mg?

• Posted

Hi John,

Yes I had loads of problems when first started 10mg. Felt like a zombie when I first taken them. Just felt numb.

Yes, well at the start it was difficult to get an erection and keep it going lol. It got better though, just takes time.

Go speak to your doc, you will be fine.

I just don't know what to do as I've been on them for 10 months and went cold turkey 2 weeks ago. Do I just carry on as I'm doing or get more tabs?

Alan

• Posted

How long did it take to get back to normal whilst you were on them? Also how have you been since you came off?

I went cold turkey nearly 4 weeks ago now and things haven't gone right, although I was having erection problems before I went on citalopram too so that's probably the cause not the citalopram 10mg I was only on for 7 days.

Your doctor will get you an appointment if you call. Cold turkey sounds like it's the cause after being on them for 10 months?

• Posted

What is it u want back on meds? Ask the doc to call u back. He will ring u back normally if u cant get appt i was on cit for a while never helped my anxiety apparently sertraline is a better ssri for anxiety
    • Posted

Yeh I think it will be better for me to wean off, I can feel myself getting worse, cloudy head and concentration is pretty non existent. I will call the doc now. Thanks
    • Posted

My doc says sertraline is better for anxiety and its easier to start than citralopram
  • Posted

Probably not much help to you but I've been on 20mg for 3 months for bouts of anxiety & depression , the side affects have not been good though & after Simptons settling down after 5 weeks the side effects returned so I was in a worse place than before the meds, I eventually got to speak to my doctor & asked if I should reduce my dosage as I was depressed every day till about 3pm. He said I could try reducing or increasing or try another medication , I reduced my cit to 10mg , it's been a week now & ive had the best week ever, back to my old self . Maybe you haven't found the right dosage for yourself yet or the cit might not suit you, going from 20mg to 0 will take a while for your chemistry to adjust . Hope it settles down , try & stay positive .

• Posted

Hi Tom. Just wondering if you'd had any sexual problems on citalopram. I stopped nearly 4 weeks ago and still struggling.

I've heard it can take between 4 weeks and 3 months for your body to readjust after stopping though even after a short period on the drug?

• Posted

Thanks Tom. I'm also on ,40mg propanolol for the physical symptoms of racing chest, panic attacks etc. I'm going to see if I can get an emergency appt as I do need to go back on then even just to wean off. I had to quit my long standing job due to all of this cr@p so at least I have time to get better now I guess.

I'm sure things will get better.

• Posted

If u wuit ur job i reslly recommend u find a med that works and u really get better rather than just get by
    • Posted

John

As many users have commented cit does kill your labido, mine has returned since reducing to 10mg , looking back I had lost my sex drive & appetite before starting the meds Simptons of the anxiety & depression .

• Posted

Tom, I stopped taking citalopram nearly 4 weeks ago and mine has yet to return, also I can't get any sort of erection at all. I'm hoping this is just because the anxiety has returned worse than ever. My doctor seems to think I'm worrying about permanent side effects too much especially as I was only on 10mg citalopram for 7 days.

How long did it take for your sex drive to come back?

• Posted

As soon as my anxiety went away my sexdrive returned this was after 5 days of reducing from 20mg to 10mg.

Once you get rid of the anxiety everything else will fall into place , I'm looking to start reducing to 5mg shortly the 5 to zero soon , maybe you came of the drug too quickly so might take time to settle

• Posted

I've been off citalopram for nearly 4 weeks now and still nothing. No sex drive and no erections. See my GP who says it's the anxiety. He's also said it's common after coming off ADs and can take up to 12 weeks for your body to go back to normal, even though I was only on 10mg for 7 days.

Guessing I've got to stop stressing and wait for things to happen

• Posted

Hi John,

Like you I went on citalopram for a week, only 10mg too. On the second day it was impossible to orgasm. By fourth day erections weren't as durable. On the 7th day I just quit cold turkey as the sexual side effects were worse than the the orginal condition. Been off them for 3 days now and my sensitity has come back to normal but not convinced performance has. Had flu  like symtoms too. How did it work out for you? How long before sex drive came back. Has anyone else any insights on this one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.