Been Off Fluoxetine For 6 Months!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, almost a year ago I split with my wife after 13 years, became homeless, and decided to end it all. February of this year I went on to Fluoxetine for 2 months, and yes it did help in a way, and yes there was side effects but I did decide to come off these after a very short while, I knew I just need something just for a small bit of time, something just to take over for a little while.

After coming off these, I'm now back in college, and I'm now a single father to one of my two daughters, yeah life still sucks at times but I'm willing to fight and realise you got only your self to depend on. So to all of you on these Tabs or about to start them or come off them, I have an idea what you all going through, It's hard, it's not easy, but be strong your not the only one in the boat.

Any way who said life was going to be a walk in the park?

All The Best !

John B

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

John, I'm pleased to hear that things are going better for you.

However, your post does seem to imply that those of us still taking ADs are somehow weak and unable to draw on inner resources in order to keep going. I find this actually quite insulting, and it does nothing to remove the stigma of mental illness. My depression hit out of the blue, and 10 months later I am still struggling with thoughts of harming myself, or running away, or ceasing to exist. During this time I have continued to work, look after my children and run the house (though all of these not as well as I would like) - this has taken an immense amount of effort, but I don't think I could have done it without determination on my part, plus medication, plus great support from family, friends and medical services.

I am trying not to think of myself as a failure because I am struggling, though that in itself is a daily struggle; posts like yours do nothing to help that, I'm afraid.

I hope that things continue to go well for you.

• Posted

Two Words...

ALTERNATIVE

MEDICINE

• Posted

Hi John and Hi Gretchel.

John - Good for you hun, I know that you were never a fan of these pills and only took them for a short time but, if they worked for you whilst you took them, then good for you. It is purely an individual thing and you have to do what is right for you. The pills alone are not a miracle cure and you have to have self determination and a mind set to achieve only what you want to do.

As for this Gretchel, good to hear from you too but I don't think John meant in anyway to be insulting nor suggest that folk taking these are weak. I think and hope, yuo've just misunterpretted his meaning.

I can't see where you get the idea that he may have been making these suggestions after reading over his text a few times.

Anyway, I've been following your story and you are also one determined individual and like me, have needed these pills to help with this damned depression. For sure, you are 10 months down the line and have these feelings still so for you as an individual (as we all are), you may need a little bit more of a helping hand such as a different or increased med?

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a person who needed Fluoxetine to help me get off the rapidly downward spiral I was on.

I am so delighted that you have great support from friends, family and the medical services.

You are not a failure. For goodness sakes, you sought help and advice hence not only taking meds, speaking to your friends, family and doctor and also joining this site to share your experiences and give advice. Yes it is a daily struggle but you are alive and are heading in the right direction to be back to yourself again.

Gretchel, please take care and keep going as you are, you're doing really well.

John, I'm glad you're still around and your daughters still have a daddy. I remember that your first posting was of thoughts of taking your life (hope I have remembered that correctly or I'm going to sound like such an idiot!). So these meds worked for you but so did your mindset, just like Gretchel, just like me, just like so many others.

Stick in with college and good luck on your future.

Ang - the waffler!

• Posted

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, John - it's just how I read it and I know I haven't been feeling good lately, so it just struck a raw nerve. Sorry if I offended you - just a frank exchange of views!

Ang, I will reply to you on the other thread.

• Posted

Hi Ang & Gretchel, yes Ang it is me that was on here early this year and I do apologise to you Gretchel if I did make you think those of you who are still taking ADs are somehow weak. I didn't mean it like that, tell you the truth since been off ADs I've nearly ended back on them a few times. So no I don't think I'm out of the woods yet....

Ang what happened to suezzie?

talk soon, take it easy ALL!

John B

• Posted

Hi, I'm not sure where Suzi is, I hope she's okay, I'm sure she will be. Perhaps she doesn't check the site as often as I know she went cold turkey on the ADs, I know I only check it periodically now.

I've been back on and off these ads several times and decided to stay off them. Sometimes ok, other times I want to scream and shout and be by myself but other times I'm okay. I'm odd!

Glad to hear you're doing well though hun. Keep posting when you can.

Ang

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.